Real Gasket bolt torque update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Gasket bolt torque update

There has been a lot of conversation regarding Real Gasket valve cover gaskets and the torque of the bolts. I hadn't checked the bolts for a while before I removed the valve cover recently to do cam timing and valve clearance adjustment. I had torqued the bolts to 20 inch-pounds per the Real gasket instructions. Several of the bolts had loosened to hand tight or even looser. To the Real Gasket's credit there were no leaks, just a tiny bit of misting in a couple places. I decided to use lock washers on the bolts to help keep them tight. The lock washers definitely affected the torque of the bolts. When I tightened the bolts to 20 inch-pounds the gasket was noticeably more compressed than it had been before. I ended up tightening the bolts to 10 inch-pounds which seemed to compress the gasket about the same amount as 20 inch pounds did without the lock washers. The bolts seem more secure at 10 inch-pounds with the lock washers than they did at 20 inch-pounds without the lock washers. I'll keep an eye on the bolts and update at a later time.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

I would use care with the washers as they reduce the amount of precious thread you get to tighten with.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
      I would use care with the washers as they reduce the amount of precious thread you get to tighten with.
      Yeah, I considered that but with the very low torque on these bolts I don't think it will be an issue. Time, of course, will tell.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe, I remember you used locktite on those bolts when you put your Real Gasket on...didn't you?

Or was that my bike?

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          Joe, I remember you used locktite on those bolts when you put your Real Gasket on...didn't you?

Or was that my bike?
          No, we didn't use Locktite on mine. I was concerned about the possible detrimental effect of Locktite on aluminum..................

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

None of my valve cover bolts have ever backed out. I use SS button-head bolts, which use a little bitty 4mm allen wrench.

This is not scientific (since a torque wrench that goes that low is gawdawful expensive), but I tighten them all barely finger tight, then give them about 3/4 or 1 twist using a finger and a thumb, if that, with the t-handle allen wrench. No leaks or backing out yet.

BTW, the paper that came with my Realgasket last year specified 15 inch-pounds, not 20.

I wouldn't expect that traditional split lock washers would have much, if any, effect at such low torque values. You might do better with a "star" or "wave" washer, which is meant for very low torque. Or safety wire all of them. Every time you remove the valve cover...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I use a lot of Real® gaskets in other applications, and have a suggestion... Make absolutely sure that there is no trace of oil on either surface of the gasket when it is installed. It doesn't even work very well to wipe it down with gasoline. Gasoline leaves a tiny bit of an oily residue when it evaporates. Alcohol works well though. The tiniest bit of oil on the surface allows the real® gasket to squeeeeeeeze out of the gap it's intended to fill, like a watermelon seed between fingers. You want it DRY as dust when you torque it to the specs called out on the package

Comment

Working...
              X