Tubeless Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubeless Tires

I have an 81 GS750L, and I have a questions about tubeless tires. I have read prior posts about people running tubeless tires on the mag rims that come with the bike, so here is my question. The prior owner put new tires on the bike (they still have the little nubbins on them). He also told me that he has new tubes in the tires. These times state that they are tubeless. I did not think it was a good idea to run tubes in a tubeless tire? Also and more importantly, exactly how hard is it for someone that has never worked on a motorcycle to remove the tubes and use these tires in a tubeless setup? Any help would be great!!!

Matt K

Hi Matt, Were I you, if you aren't having trouble with the tires or tubes, I wouldn't do anything with them until they, either get a flat or need to be replaced. That said, I'm running tubeless in my new tires, following Earl's excellent advice. Just my .02 worth. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Someone else will jump in here with exact information, but I remember reading awhile back early (don't know what year) mags were not rated for tubless tires. It will be cast into the wheel if they are. That said, I also remember reading that some folks tried tubless tires on non-tubless rated rims and were successful (I think). If you have never changed a motorcycle tire before it can be very challenging to get the bead off the rim. You need tire irons made for the job; don't fool with big screwdrivers. In your case, you only need to get one off and pull the tube out, lube it up and pry it back on, assuming your wheels are correct. Get a service manual for removing and replacing the wheels from the bike.

Sorry I couln't be more specific. In a few minutes, someone else will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt K
        I have an 81 GS750L, and I have a questions about tubeless tires. I have read prior posts about people running tubeless tires on the mag rims that come with the bike, so here is my question. The prior owner put new tires on the bike (they still have the little nubbins on them). He also told me that he has new tubes in the tires. These times state that they are tubeless. I did not think it was a good idea to run tubes in a tubeless tire? Also and more importantly, exactly how hard is it for someone that has never worked on a motorcycle to remove the tubes and use these tires in a tubeless setup? Any help would be great!!!

Matt K
        There is an excellent "how-to" article by earlfor at Tubeless Tires, Unmarked Alloy Wheels and Tire Sealers. If you follow Earl's method it will eliminate the possibility of leaks from rim porosity.

All new tires are tubeless and they can be used with tubes on older bikes for which tubes are recommended. Usually the tire sizes associated with older tube types will have marked in fine print somewhere something like "May be used with tubes or tubeless".

If you have never worked on a motorcycle before, removing and replacing tires would be a tough start. You might never want to work on one again. If you have the right tools and setup and know how to do it properly, it really isn't that hard. But for a beginner or the unprepared, it can be frustrating.

If you decide to remove the tubes and go tubeless, I would wait until the tires are worn and need replacing. There would be no real advantage to removing the tubes now considering the work involved.

Comment

One of my main reasons to switch to tubeless is that there appears to be evidance that tubeless tires deal with punctures better (slow leaks as apposed to boom) than tubes do. If that is not really true than i will wait for the next tire change.

Comment

One of my main reasons to switch to tubeless is that there appears to be evidance that tubeless tires deal with punctures better (slow leaks as apposed to boom) than tubes do. If that is not really true than i will wait for the next tire change.
            That's true, but the fastest air loss with a tube would be on a old spoked rim, with many spoke holes to let air escape. On a cast rim such as yours, the air escaping from the nail hole should be about the same whether there is a tube or not in the tubeless tire. The additional air would have to be released through the valve stem hole as the tubeless tire would be sealed to the rim.

Unless you get a lot of flats I wouldn't bother. It's prudent to be prepared for a flat repair when traveling since usually there is no other option to keep rolling. I can't remember the last time I had a flat on a motorcycle, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Comment

Tubeless tires absolutely handle nails and whatnot better than tubes, provided they are stuck in the tire. The tubeless tire seals around the object and prevents a sudden deflation. Once at college I was walking toward my bike one day and noticed a nail in the rear tire. The tire seemed to be holding air and since I had no way of fixing it there, I rode 30 miles home. Checking the tire later, after it cooled down, the air pressure was still where it belonged. I have no idea how long the nail was in there. Stick with tubeless if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mcconnell
                Tubeless tires absolutely handle nails and whatnot better than tubes, provided they are stuck in the tire. The tubeless tire seals around the object and prevents a sudden deflation. Once at college I was walking toward my bike one day and noticed a nail in the rear tire. The tire seemed to be holding air and since I had no way of fixing it there, I rode 30 miles home. Checking the tire later, after it cooled down, the air pressure was still where it belonged. I have no idea how long the nail was in there. Stick with tubeless if possible.
                So the question is really should I convert from tubes, or wait untill the next tire change?

Comment

If your bike still has it, check the tire info label on your back fender. It will tell you whether or not your bike was set up for tubeless. My 81 850L states that it uses tubeless. Hope this helps.

Comment

So the question is really should I convert from tubes, or wait untill the next tire change?
                    Wait 'till the next set of tires.

Comment

Now or later? If you were comfortable doing this, I'd say it would make for a nice Saturday morning project. You wanted to grease the front wheel bearings anyway, didn't you? Since you aren't that comfortable, just wait till they wear out.

Comment

ok, I will do that then...

Comment

Nobody was afraid of tubes in tires before we had tubeless tires, so we shouldn't be afraid of them now. Why not run the tubes. Odds are you probably won't have a flat, but if you do, then remove the tubes while fixing the flat.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                            Nobody was afraid of tubes in tires before we had tubeless tires, so we shouldn't be afraid of them now. Why not run the tubes. Odds are you probably won't have a flat, but if you do, then remove the tubes while fixing the flat.
                            Which makes sense. So what should I have with me to fix the tire if I get a flat, and where do you (meaning everyone) suggest that I buy that kind of stuff?

Comment

Any parts store, or Wal-Mart, has a kit, all it is, is patch & glue. If you never fixed a flat on a bike tube before, don't try it without someone who has been there before. It's not rocket science, but you will pinch or poke holes in the tube, or scar up the wheels. If a flat should happen, you should have a plan. Call for help to haul the bike home, or to a shop for repair. Don't be afraid of having a flat, it does happen, but very rarely. I don't look for things to worry about, but if you're looking deer, dogs, possums, kids, cars, trucks, or other stuff like that. Also worry about not paying enough attention, I let my mind wander for about 5 seconds, & ran into the back of my buddy's bike once, remember you rarely get second chances on a bike.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X