Shim for Starter Idler Gear Missing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shim for Starter Idler Gear Missing!

Took a close look at my starter noise problem, and in the process removed the Idler Gear and found only ONE shim/washer.

The diagram below shows two shims/washers (Part Number 3), one on each side of the pin that traps the Idler Gear in place.

How concerned should I be that this missing shim/washer made its way inside the engine underneath the starter clutch assembly?

I suppose I could buy a small magnetic probe and see if I might be able to fish it out?

What are my options?

I would be concerned that the missing piece could find its way to the transmission. There should be a fair size hole at the bottom of the cases, below the starter clutch. Try fishing in there with a magnet. If not found, I would drain the oil and pull the pan in hopes that its either in the pan or you can at least fish from a new direction. The outer shim (washer) almost always sticks to the cover when you pull it off and falls off after a few seconds. The charging system rotor is a very strong magnet so look very carefully around it for the missing washer. Also check the stator and cover carefully for it. That piece usually falls into the cover or onto the ground as you pull the cover off....Good luck.....Billy

Comment

i found one of my shims covered in sludge at the bottom of my oil pan. seems some had pulled the starter cover off and one of the shims fell off. so look there first.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau
        Took a close look at my starter noise problem, and in the process removed the Idler Gear and found only ONE shim/washer.

The diagram below shows two shims/washers (Part Number 3), one on each side of the pin that traps the Idler Gear in place.

How concerned should I be that this missing shim/washer made its way inside the engine underneath the starter clutch assembly?

I suppose I could buy a small magnetic probe and see if I might be able to fish it out?

What are my options?

http://www.psndealer.com/fiche/image...les/2155_8.gif
        BadBilly is right. It can definitely make it's way to the bottom and as they have said check the rotor first and if its not there you need to start looking in the pan area. You gotta know for sure its not in there because if it starts grinding up it can do a lot of damage.

Comment

On a used engine I bought one of the shims managed to find its way into the rod and piston area and beat it in to several pieces. The person saw the oil full of metal and had the engine changed, sold the engine for parts, $100 what a deal. Damage was to the piston and the rod pin was very rough. Gardner Racing fixed the crank better than new and welded the whole thing.

Glenn

Comment

Magnetize some Hack Saw Blades

I am going to purchase a 6-Volt DC battery and wrap some wires around a Hack Saw blade to make a electro-magnetic.

Then use that to slide up under the starter clutch gear assembly to see if I cant fish it out if it is indeed inside the case.

Sound plausible?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau
              I am going to purchase a 6-Volt DC battery and wrap some wires around a Hack Saw blade to make a electro-magnetic.

Then use that to slide up under the starter clutch gear assembly to see if I cant fish it out if it is indeed inside the case.

Sound plausible?
              I would pull the rotor and look until I found it or knew for sure that it was left off and is not laying around in there. You will need a tool to pull the rotor.

Comment

Having had a good look at the GS crankcases today the design is for oil to drain back into the sump or pan area of the case. The bike would have had to be doing a wheely so that either the headlight or the tail light were on the floor to get a small washer to get over the lip into the gearbox area.
                Both taking the sump off or sticking a magnet through the case is an idea. Never lost one that far but have heard of someone else losing one and having to strip the complete engine. Not the best idea.

How long has it been making the noise when you started up? Have you had the alternator side off recently? Reason for asking would give an idication of how long this washer/shim has been floating around and as to how far it might have gone with time.

Keep looking, you may be lucky and find it stuck on the case or stuck on the idler gear trying to hide as part of the cog. Thought I had lost a washer off the oil pump so ordered new one to find that the original had stuck to the pump gear. I had looked for it for about 2 hours without finding it. Embarasing or what!

Suzuki mad
                It's gone cold again with a little snow. No way I'm going for a ride.
                1981 GS1000E
                1983 GSX1100ESD in a lot of bits.

Comment

Working...
                X