78 GS550 stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 stumped

I put my cleaned upcarbs on my 550 this morning and was about to fire the old girl up but after half a turn from the starter, the engine seemed to lock up. I tried the kick starter and it is moving nothing at all.

The engine seems locked. I probably hit the cam chain tensioner putting on the carbs, but I didn't do anything more with it.

I had the bike running last week end so I am confident something is just binding. I am of the opinion that I need to pull the cam cover and stare at my chain and I will charge the battery while I run out to get some tires on my car.

Would the starting (kick gears or starter) cause such a problem.

Hoping for some guidance so I only take apart what is necessary.

I guess it is possible a mouse went into my intake when the carbs were off this week, but I not betting on that.

You need to take your cam cover off and your points cover and using the right wrench try to turn the motor clockwise and see if anything is bound up or broken. If it wont turn don't force it, you could cause more problems. You will have to take your carbs back off and your cam chain tensioner. If its still locked up you will have to remove the cams and see whats going on in there. Its possible the chain got bound up or something. Maybe just removing your cam chain tensioner and reseting it will solve your problem. Good luck.

Comment

Or a valve is stuck open...

Comment

I would take the plugs out & try & turn it Maybe flooded with fuel

Comment

Well I pulled of the covewr and the cam chain tensioner and the chain had been bound. BTW the tesioner was functioning properly. once theings started moving the chin jumped the cam so I will need to spend time on timing, but the engine does appear to be free. I have used up my bike time for today, I will need to explore again in the morning.

I am troubled by ...why this happened. I saw nothing fortelling this event.

Comment

Working...
          X