Spoked wheel runout question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoked wheel runout question

I'm lacing up a spoked 17" front wheel for my KTM (Can you say SUPERMOTO?) and have a question regarding wheel runout. I have about .030" runout both lateral and radial. I checked the specs for my GS1100 which has cast wheels and the specs are .080" for both. I can't imagine spoked wheels having a tighter tolerance than cast wheels but I'm wondering if someone with a service manual for spoked wheels could let me know the runout tolerances.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

According to the information at Spoked Motorcycle Wheel Building, most motorcycle manuals specify a maximum .080" runout, so you should be in very good shape. This is a comprehensive how-to article, and may be good background information for your project.

Comment

Yep - the Suzuki factory manuals for both the 400 and 750 list 2.0mm (0.08in.) for the lateral and radial runout for spoked wheels.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the info. The web site Boondocks referenced is a very good source. I wish I had read it first. Then I wouldn't have had to loosen everything back up and re-do it because the offset was off by a couple millimeters. This was my first attempt at lacing a hub and I was a bit worried about screwing it up. I had to swap hubs on a brand new KTM wheel because the axle size was wrong and I couldn't find a wheel with the correct axle size. I was hoping I wouldn't ruin a $325 wheel before it was ever mounted on the bike. But it all worked out great, the offset is perfect and the runouts are both around .030". Now to order and mount some sticky road tires and have some fun!

Thanks again,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
        X