SPEEDOMETER works - but not right away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPEEDOMETER works - but not right away!

The speedometer for our 1983 GS450TX often does not work for the first 10 - 20 minutes of a ride. It sometimes takes longer when it is cold out. The odometer works right away so it is not the cable. Are the gears slipping and what is a fix for this?

Try replacing the cable.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Do the miles go up but the needle stays down or does nothing work at first? In the first case I think your speedo needs to be cleaned.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
        Do the miles go up but the needle stays down or does nothing work at first? In the first case I think your speedo needs to be cleaned.:-D
        The miles (Km) go up but the needle does not so I know that I do not need a new cable. What should I clean and how?

Comment

Scott,

You've got to crack the gauges to clean the parts. Neobro has a step-by-step demo of how to do this at this link:

Before he posted this, I got into my gauges by grinding/filing off some of the metal bezel that holds the glass to the body. I did this where the lip folds over the orange housing, not near the glass. There is no other way to get in them besides separating the housing in some fashion.

If you're not comfortable with this, hunt around on ebay for some used gauges. You can typically find the whole cluster for less than $75 and each gauge for less than $35 (all used of course). NOS get pricey though. If you have any more questions about opening the gauges, let me know.

jon
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
          X