Chainguard Important??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainguard Important??

Here is why I ask. I have just put on a wider wheel on my 700e and now the cheapy platic chain guard is rubbing. How importatnt is the guard. I would only think it would effect a passenger.

I could cut the inside off to get it to work.

What's the opion out there?

The chain gaurd does what the fender does, except it keeps chain oil and stuff off the bike and you. Look undet he chain gaurd at what will be slung all over and make up your mind. Moving something to get the gaurd away from the tire should do it. Try to keep the gaurd ... at least most of it.

Enjoy riding.
    TomE

Comment

It was a required item for registering a bike in CT. Neither of mine had them so I bought one at a slavage yard and swapped it when I reg'ed each bike

Comment

The most important reason for the chain guard is to keep your foot and leg from getting caught up in the chain while it is moving. That is why it is required for inspection.

Originally posted by kd5bwd
        The chain gaurd does what the fender does, except it keeps chain oil and stuff off the bike and you. Look undet he chain gaurd at what will be slung all over and make up your mind. Moving something to get the gaurd away from the tire should do it. Try to keep the gaurd ... at least most of it.

Enjoy riding.
        TomE

Comment

Either cut the chain guar or the tire - your choice. :?

Comment

I haven't had one on mine in years. The GSXR rearset I have on mine has a small guard built into it and since I never carry a passenger I don't have to worry about it running full length. It's not an issue with inspections here in Texas.

Comment

check out the little one I made of aluminum

Comment

Riding a bicycle, I can rip apart a pair of jeans in a fraction of a second when they get caught in a chain. There is *no way* I would ride a motorcycle without a good chain guard. If the tire rubs, I'd buy a tire that fits the bike.

Tom
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                X