Petcock/Creem tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock/Creem tank?

I just removed the tank on my '80 1100L. Do I leave the petcock in when I clean the inside of the tank with the three step Creem cleaner? Nowhere does it says that I leave it in or remove it. The tank has all kinds of nasty junk in it and of course i dropped it and now it has a scratch as well. Would like to finish this today...(sunday). Thanks for the help.-Pete

Remove the petcock and any seals/o-rings sticking to the tank.
    Remove the fuel gauge unit too. Also the gas cap.
    The etching formula will ruin anything. The tank must be completely stripped of all parts.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Pete...I replied to your PM with a PM. I have to sign off for now.
      Hope I answered your PM question by replying here.
      Just to add. I recommend new petcock to tank o-ring/gasket. Old one may work but that's my opinion.
      Also, the gas gauge unit rubber gasket.
      The Kreem can be tricky to use. Hard to tell when the tank's completely coated. Just be aware that after you sit it down to dry, look inside to see if any is dripping from the top part of tank. Stalactites are not good.
      Also, I had a small venting hole inside my gas cap/tank collar area to re-open after the Kreem hardened. Not sure what the little hole does, or if you have one, but just be aware.
      Make sure the petcock opening is wiped clear too. You don't want any coating in the threaded area.
      Same thing goes for the fuel gauge unit.
      You have to make up some temp sealing for the gauge unit and gas cap and petcock so you can really swish the Kreem coat around.
      Don't let the stripper/etcher touch the paint.
      Be fast in the cleaning process so you don't get too much "flash rust" before starting the coating process.
      Have fun. Hope this helped.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the replies....bigger job than I realized. There were instructions but I just didn't find them in the bottom of the box. Stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks to all that help on here! -Pete

Comment

I have found that POR-15 is a little better at handleing any type of fuel additives that are added. I have always run some Berrymans carb cleaner in every couple of tanks, but it will eat a Kreem coating, whereas a POR-15 coating can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly
            I have found that POR-15 is a little better at handleing any type of fuel additives that are added. I have always run some Berrymans carb cleaner in every couple of tanks, but it will eat a Kreem coating, whereas a POR-15 coating can handle it.
            Agree with the above, if it's not too late dump the Kreem and go for the Por15 US Tank Sealer stuff. Save yourself some hearache.

Comment

"Pealing wall paper"-GS750L Tank Question!

Just poured out my left over gas in my tank, when I was installing the petcock I bought from another member, John, & a few other things. Anyway, I installed it, then went to have a look at the sending unit, to see if, in fact, I even had one there, & a whole bunch'a stuff came out of the tank along w/the left over gas! I shook it & it rattled w/stuff in the tank! I discovered that someone had used something in it to possibly do a sealing job & It looked like the walls were peeling like they do when they have old paint that's peeling off! Some of it was still holding on & some was at the bottom & some I could reach w/needle-nose pliers & rip away! It was brown on one side & white on the other! Kind'a thick too. Like maybe it couldve been some sand paper somebody dropped down the tank! That's what I first thought it was due to it's thickness. So reading one of the posts, I see that most guys prefer that "POR-15", to the other stuff? Additives can be used w/o any problem? What do I do about the peeling stuff on the walls of the tank? if I leave it on, will this stuff seal it back up on the walls? 'Cause I sure can't cut it in 2, HA! Very informative place to hang out, this GS place....Ron..

Comment

Working...
              X