Lubricating the speedometer drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricating the speedometer drive.

Any thoughts on what to use? (This is inside the speedo not the cable)
    I'm concerned WD-40 is to thin. Thought about PJ-1 (chain lube) but maybe it's to thick?
    Or have I missed the point and does the lube from the cable work it's way in there? When I tested it with a cordless drill (I'm replacing the unit) found that it turns counter-clockwise, maybe it works the cable lube back up into the unit's drive mechanism.

(Also found out that my cordless drill runs 30 miles an hour ).

If you wanna make sure that the entire cable is lubed then take the complete cable of the bike, remove the inner cable and wipe it of with a rag and cover it with grease (I use bearing grease). Put the inner cable back into the outer cable and wipe off the excess grease and install it back on your bike.
    When I took my speedometer cable out after I bought the 1000S I could see that the lubricant on it only covered it for about 5 inches, now I know for sure that it's lubricated completely. Good luck.

Comment

Re: Lubricating the speedometer drive.

PJ, WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a water displacement compound.
      It should never be used in any application where a lubricant is specified. A small amount of chain lube should do just fine.

Earl

[quote="pjackson"]Any thoughts on what to use? (This is inside the speedo not the cable)
      I'm concerned WD-40 is to thin. Thought about PJ-1 (chain lube) but maybe it's to thick?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]PJ, WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a water displacement compound.
        It should never be used in any application where a lubricant is specified. A small amount of chain lube should do just fine.

Earl

Originally posted by pjackson
        Any thoughts on what to use? (This is inside the speedo not the cable)
        That's where the name came from - Water Displacement formula 40.
        or WD40.

Terry

Comment

Also, WD is 90% Kerosene.

Comment

I have been using the spray type of chain lubes to treat my cables, for years. It sprays easily and is thin enough to penetrate into the brades. Then it sort'a thickens up and stays put. I do remove the cables and lube them or just replace them if they are really bad. They're cheap enough
            GY

Comment

Hmmm Terry, I guess its called WD40 then because the first 39 attempts were unsuccessful. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose

or WD40.

Terry
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

lube

Hi

I read the question as how to lubricate the speedometer drive, not the cable (I may have mis-understood the question). The answers on cable lubing were great and I realized I have another chore to do (lube the cables properly).

Any ideas on lubricants/cleansers for the instrument itself? I will have my cluster apart this winter and would appreciate any advice on lubing/cleaning the actual instrument mechanisms.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comment

I would think if you used a "wet" lubricant that it would accumulate dirt over time and do more damage than good. How about cleaning it then using something like graphite? Maybe use WD40 to clean it, then wash that out with alcohol and blow it out with compressed air before putting the graphite on. These are just my thoughts. I have never done it so be careful. Whatever you do, please report back and let us know the results. My speedometer is starting to act erratic and I need to do something to it too. Maybe I'll try my own suggestion.

Terry

Comment

Re: lube

Originally posted by patrikobrien
                    Hi

I read the question as how to lubricate the speedometer drive, not the cable (I may have mis-understood the question). The answers on cable lubing were great and I realized I have another chore to do (lube the cables properly).

Any ideas on lubricants/cleansers for the instrument itself? I will have my cluster apart this winter and would appreciate any advice on lubing/cleaning the actual instrument mechanisms.

Thanks,

Patrick
                    Ding Ding, Ding. On to the bonus round patrikobrien. You are the winner!
                    Yeah that was the original intent of my question, about the internal mechanism of the speedo drive. But two for the price of one is great!
                    I was actually wondering about a good method to lube cables as well.

While were on the subject, what about cables that the core can't be removed from, i.e. clutch and throttle.
                    Seems if you have time, hang it vertical and apply a little at a time and let it drain through?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Hmmm Terry, I guess its called WD40 then because the first 39 attempts were unsuccessful. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose

or WD40.

Terry
                      You're quite perceptive for a Floridian. That's exactly correct. 39 formulas before they found the one they liked.

Terry

Comment

Re: lube

Originally posted by pjackson
                        While were on the subject, what about cables that the core can't be removed from, i.e. clutch and throttle.
                        Seems if you have time, hang it vertical and apply a little at a time and let it drain through?
                        I recently purchase a "Cable Luber Kit" from www.competitionaccessories.com for $13.99 It consists of a small aluminum & rubber device that clamps to the top of the cable and a can of lubricant. There is a port that you spray the lubricant into and it's supposed to force the lubricant through until you see it coming out the other end. I'll let you know if it works as soon as I have a chance to try it.

Comment

A good 'household' oil such as '3-in-1' oil works well for this. Another option is to go to Rat Shack and get there needle oiler. neat little container with a needle end that gets into real small places.... :P

Comment

wd-40

Originally posted by propflux01
                            Also, WD is 90% Kerosene.
                            but kerosene is a higher refined version of diesel 2 witch is an oil?

Comment

After taking the speedo out of it's casing I think I'm going to go with a lithium based grease. There was a little dab of something left in there and thats what it felt like.

The green gear in the rear of the unit (in the second picture) is driven by a metal gear. http://webpages.charter.net/pejackson/speedometer.htm
                              Looks like something fairly thick will be needed to stay there and supply lubrication.

Comment

Working...
                              X