Gas in the oil!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the oil!!!!

I went to change the oil today after winter storage and instead of oil comming out, I got about 1.5 gallons of gas out of it! How does gas get in the oil. It was fine when I put it away I changed the oil and it was fine. so it was apparently somthing that happened while sitting in the cold. I tried searching, but came up empty. Any help would be appriciated.

Forgot to add, this is a gs450 1981 with 360000 on the engine. if you need any more info just ask!

Thanks

DaveO1265
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2006, 08:12 PM.

your petcock needs rebuilding, or you left it on prime while sitting, and you have a leaking needle valve in the carbs. Pull the vacuum line off at the petcock and see if it is wet.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

It could be bad "o" rings for the float needle valve, bad floats or bad seals for the petcock vacuum line. Ted

Comment

wait, did you say 360,000 miles?

Did you drain your carb bowls before storing it? Did you store the bike on it's sidestand or tipped over? Chances are the bowls just seeped through...
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

sorry, one too many zeros in the milage. I meant 36,000 miles. I stored it on its center stand, I will check the petcock and see if I left in the Prime position. I did not clear the bowls when I put it away so you may be right there as well.

Thought I would add that I left the drain plug loose and it still seems to be leaking gas, cause the oils is all gone and I still have a puddle. So if I get the carbs rebuilt will that fix probelm? The vent line on the petcock is dry.
          Thanks

Daveo1265
          Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2006, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You can probably fix it by just replacing the O ring on the float valve, you don't need a complete rebuild. The petcock does need checking & you may be able to just clean it. Check the petcock diaphram o ring & sealing surface

Comment

Working...
            X