Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Peeling WALL Paper" GS750L Tank Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Peeling WALL Paper" GS750L Tank Problem!

Pealing wall paper"-GS750L Tank Question!

I copied this from another post, & thought I'd better start it off so more people could see it better.. I don't know if it's; "peeling or pealing"! But it is.

Just poured out my left over gas in my tank, when I was installing the petcock I bought from another member, John, & a few other things. Anyway, I installed it, then went to have a look at the sending unit, to see if, in fact, I even had one there, & a whole bunch'a stuff came out of the tank along w/the left over gas! I shook it & it rattled w/stuff in the tank! I discovered that someone had used something in it to possibly do a sealing job & It looked like the walls were peeling like they do when they have old paint that's peeling off! Some of it was still holding on & some was at the bottom & some I could reach w/needle-nose pliers & rip away! It was brown on one side & white on the other! Kind'a thick too. Like maybe it could'a been some sand paper somebody dropped down the tank! That's what I first thought it was due to it's thickness. So reading one of the posts, I see that most guys prefer that "POR-15", to the other stuff? Additives can be used w/o any problem? What do I do about the peeling stuff on the walls of the tank? if I leave it on, will this stuff seal it back up on the walls? 'Cause I sure can't cut it in 2, HA! Very informative place to hang out, this GS place....Ron..

the POR-15 guys also make a cleaner that will get the old liner out. Check their website as I can't remember the details. But you will need to remove that old crap before you reseal the tank.

Tracy

Comment

I have used that POR-15 kit, I think it is the small tank repair kit. It works great. Someone tried (and failed) 2 times to seal a tank that I have, before I bought it from them, and even worse, they put one on top of another. I had to pull the large chunks out by hand, then use the "stripper" in the POR kit, then seal the tank as normal. Now it works like a charm.

Comment

M.e.k.

You have Kreem tank liner in there. Remove it with M.E.K. purchased from your local hardware store. Then reline it as per directions. I use Kreem all the time on old rusty tanks and have never had a problem with it. I just read this morning to remove old use M.E.K.!!

Good luck!

Comment

PREP is the key to kreem, MUST be NO rust left. Also acetone works just as well to disolve old liner, usually a little cheaper than MEK, you need atleast a gallon.

Comment

Wall Paper tank!

Thanks guy's! I to believe that a good prep is the way to go for good results! I will have to go w/acetone, being the cheaper of the two to use. That is if it will do the job! I guess the Kreem Tank liner is what's in it now & peeling? Using the Acetone & not the M.E.K., for the cleaning will do then, huh? I thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X