Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 1100E compatibilty with Honda CB 650 rear shocks

Hello,
    I have acquired a pair of Showa rear shocks from a Honda CB 650 custom and was wondering if they will work on my 82 GS 1100E? They have the same fittings on the ends, but the Honda shocks are about 1 1/2 inches longer, will this cause a problem with the chain, etc??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GS1100 Shocks

I would not use a pair of shocks designed for a 650 on a 1100. The stock shocks are designed for specific spring weight and damping caractoristics. I woudn't use any shock that came off anything smaller than a 1000 or maybe a 900 unless they were an aftermarket high performace shocks.

Comment

I hear what you are saying, but the Showa shocks seem to be much more solid and substantial than the Suzuki oem shocks. Do you think there would be too great a difference in compression characteristics?

Comment

I have shocks of a 750/or smaller-- something on my gs 1100. ((they are one inch shorter))i weigh 230, no sweat but i am not a suspension performance freak. rides quite well

Comment

The usual size for the shocks on the GS1100 are 330mm (13in). If you put a longer shock on it will affect the handling. They might well be stiffer than the oem but each bike has it's own different length for the frame.

As a side note I've been advised to have slightly shorter shocks fitted to my GS1100 to make it handle.

Suzuki mad
          1981 GS1000E
          1983 GSX1100ESD in a very lot of bits.

Comment

Working...
          X