Gear Indicator woes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator woes.

My gear indicator shows 0 in second gear. All other gears read correct. Is there an adjustment or is mine just possesed? Its an 83 1100E
    Thanks,

mine shows 1 allthe time 4 works too, i dont think it can be adjusted

Comment

LCD Gear Display GS1100E 82

Just got through troubleshooting mine. The light had burned out and I couldn't see what gear I was in when riding at night. I removed the plastic housing from within the instrument panel and disassembled it. I soldered in a new light. When I re-assembled I wasn't getting the correct display. I was getting just a dash. I took the 3 screws out, cleaned the contacts and re-assembled and it work correctly. When the LCD panel mates with the gold fingers on the circuit board if there is any dirt in there or if it's not tightened evenly it wont work correctly. This may be a place to look to fix your issue.

Comment

went threw alot of this

my first display would not show the right gear and the light wasnt working
        checked the contacts int he unit
        at the connection under the tank
        even at the engine end
        all was good

got another cluster on ebay and put the gear indicator from that into mine worked great except for the light

took the display apart again and wired in an LED and resistor so there wont be a chance of the bulb going out again

i have given my brother my spare non working display, he is an electrica engineer, he said he would try to pull info off of it and see if he can rewrite the info to another rom so next time it happenes (hopefully it wont) i can just reprogram the eeprom
        he hasnt had time to try yet tho, that was about 7 months ago

oo 83E has the same has 82E indicator

Comment

My headlight took a shot which caused the indicator to fail. The Light was driven back against the wire harness and when I unwound the black electrical tape I found 3 wires cut. Solder and heatshrink. Works like a champ.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

My old 750EF's gear indicator was all over the place (IE: all wrong readings), so I switched the pins around in the connector under the tank until they were right. Took about 10 minutes

It was like that when I bought the bike (secondhand), so I suspect the sensor was replaced with one from another model which had a different wiring layout Either that or the PO was doing drugs....
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Mine says "0" all the time, in any gear....

I just ignore it....
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
              X