crossed wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crossed wires

I have a wiring problem that I need help with. I found out that my charging system isn't putting any power to the battery when I checked it with the meter. I also took my left side(handlebar) headlight switch apart & found the 2 wires(O/W G/W) coming from the rectifier & generator had come off the soldered connections. After doing some research I understand that this is some type of 3rd phase of the charging system that was a bad idea from the factory & should be wired together to stop heat problems at the alternator. My question is; will the system start charging again if I connect these two wires together, or is this a bad idea ? The bike is a 1979 GS750L.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am completely lost when it comes to electricity.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2006, 01:05 AM.

I have a diagram for a 750L it doesn't say what year (should be 79 as it shows the light switch) and the wire from the stator is white with red stripe and the return wire to the regulator is white with green stripe.

if there is a break in the third leg that goes to the light switch the bike wont charge with the light on, but it should charge with the light off.

Comment

30cc per leg? WTF?? I had a CB1100F that took close to 300 cc's per leg my friend!!

I don't think I've ever owned a bike that took less than 200 per leg.

Comment

What you should do is wire the three stator wires direct to the reg/rect & forget about the wires running to the light switch. Also run a good heavy ground wire from one of the voltage reg mounting screw direct to the battery

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          X