Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982GS1100E: Grinding sound at start up

Good Afternoon:
    I want to start off by saying I searched the forum for this answer and didn't find anything

I found some questions on another post that I will answer in hopes to help the QA process

1. Does it make noise on start-up or continualy?

Start up until it gets warm. Then it goes away once bike is at operating temps

2. What does the noise sound like, tapping, grinding, clunking?

Grinding. My friends call it the peanut grinder.

3. Does it make the noise sitting still in neutral?

Yes...but goes away if I engage the clutch

4. Does it make the noise sitting still, in gear, with the clutch pulled?

No

5. Does the frequency of the noise increase when you rev the engine?

Yes...but it actually goes away at higher RPM. Seems only to occur at lower revs

Thank you so much for your help.

Where does the noise sound like it is coming from?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Grinding noise

I would pull the clutch cover and have a good look at your clutch basket and related assembly, I have heard this before and it turned out that my basket was ready to explode, Many hair line cracks and a bad bearing as well! The clutch basket rattle can sound like a grinding noisei f it is severely worn.
      My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
        Where does the noise sound like it is coming from?
        It sounds like it is coming from the gear box. I will take a look at the clutch basket.

Anybody have a part number and part source for the clutch basket and bearing?

Comment

Originally posted by khansmith
          It sounds like it is coming from the gear box. I will take a look at the clutch basket.

Anybody have a part number and part source for the clutch basket and bearing?
          I agree with looking at the clutch basket and bearing. It's pretty easy to do.

The basket is going to be a bit pricey if you want it new. I'd look on ebay for a good used one - if that is the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X