No announcement yet.

Front Brake light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not to worried about the Clutch safety.
    I figure if I trash the bike because I did something stupid I probably had it comming. :?

I just have to pay attention to what I am doing.

Pulling the clutch is pretty much second nature whenever I'm on the bike and it is not moving. It is good to know if I want to prevent the Dumbs from getting the best of me, I can.

Thanks guys you really have made me feel welcome around here,
    I have learned so much about my bike I hope someday I can return the favor. Until then I'll keep learning and seeking opportunities to contribute. :P

Comment

Re: clutch safety switch

Then either you dont have one or its been rendered inoperative.
      If you have two wires leading from underneath the clutch lever, then you have one but its been jumped inside the headlight shell.
      If you look underneath the clutch lever and there is no switch housing and just a solid bare flange, then you dont have one.

Earl

Originally posted by ken
      As far as I can tell my 78Gs1000 doesn't have one I think. I can put it in gear and it will pull with the starter.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I am thankful my bike DOESN'T have a clutch safety switch. I DID break my clutch cable, and had to use my starter to get me going when I was stuck in traffic. Most of the time I was lucky and just crawled up to the lights, etc. so I didn't have to start from a dead stop. I'm not used to pulling in the clutch to start a bike as I used to ride dirt bikes alot. Do you pull in the clutch before you jump on the kickstarter? I've never seen anybody do that. I disconected the one I had in my 1976 GMC pickup because it was a pain in the ass when I was working on it, having to jump into it everytime I went to start it. I connected it again before I sold it to keep the lawyers away. :?
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

If somebody ever wanted to mess with me all they would have to do is kick my bike into gear during the night. I start my bike from the right hand side without even getting on it since the clutch switch is disabled. I think I would go bananas if the bike rolled forward a foot and fell over on top of the neighbouring GS1150ES. :twisted:

Maybe I should change my habits...has anybody had their bike sabotaged by somebody putting it in gear? Come to think of it...some father could let his kid sit on my bike and the kid would kick it into gear without me knowing. Yikes.

Comment

I had a brake switch go bad, it turned out to be the copper contacts. They worn away, so I found some copper sheeting cut it to size and soldered it in place. Its worked fine ever since. It took about 30 mins

Comment

If somebody ever wanted to mess with me all they would have to do is kick my bike into gear during the night. I start my bike from the right hand side without even getting on it since the clutch switch is disabled. I think I would go bananas if the bike rolled forward a foot and fell over on top of the neighbouring GS1150ES.
              I can barely get the bike in gear without it running, is that a problem?
              Once started it slips right in, no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ccammers
                I can barely get the bike in gear without it running, is that a problem?
                Once started it slips right in, no problems.
                Normally not, if you sit on the bike with the engine not running, and just put the bike forwards or backwards a little bit, as you you put it in gear, it should work fine to put it into gear without the engine running, if not, it behaives at least not as my present GS 1150 1984 do, or my former GSX 1100 1981 did.

Comment

Working...
                X