Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at my Spark Plugs *PICS*

My Spark Plugs

Ok I'll preface with my bikes runs pretty good, in my opinion, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone else had to say. Based on these pics what would you recommend to give it just the right tweek to get'er right on the money? 1/4 turn clockwise air screw, 1/2 turn counter-clockwise air screw, just to give a few examples. Everything I've read and done says that 2&3 pass through the fuel to 1&4 but they both look to be running right.

usually mid range adjustments are needed to change the plug color

Comment

Mind expanding on that Scotty, your knowledge exceeds mine by leaps ands bounds. I'm not sure how to do that.

Comment

#2 fouling is the textbook sign of a bad diaphragm in the petcock.

The vacuum line that opens the petcock is attached to the #2 carb. If the diaphragm in the petcock has a tiny hole, gasoline will get through and get slurped into the #2 cylinder. This will cause that cylinder to run rich and foul, just like yours.

On your '83, the only solution is to replace the whole petcock -- it is not rebuildable. It's about $60 at CRC2 and most places.
        CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

It's the second one down on this page:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As others said, #2 is rich. The others look lean to me.
          Need more info. Is this bike stock? Service/maintenance that's been done? Carb work, etc? Compression been checked? Electrical check?
          You can determine if the rich mixture at #2 is the petcock by pulling off the vacuum line at the petcock and plugging it. Be certain it's plugged well. Plug the petcock vacuum port in case it does want to leak. Then turn the petcock to prime. Clean the plug with a rag. You don't need to do a perfect cleaning, just wipe off the soot that comes off easily.
          Now ride the bike for several miles to give the plug a chance to burn off the black. Get on the jet needle, about 60 mph or so for several miles. Now take a read. If it's burning similar to the others now, you know the petcock diaphragm is leaking when the bike is running with the petcock turned to "ON". Replace the petcock.
          If it's still dark/black, you have another issue causing a rich mixture. Either a poor electrical connection, carb problem, or low compression in that cylinder.
          After you fix that problem, your pics still show the plugs looking lean to me. Need 1/3, full, and minimal throttle opening tests/reads to determine what jets need to be re-jetted. All other basic maintenance/tuning must be done first before testing or re-jetting.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I gots nuttin for you on the plugs, but that wire may be the fuel tank guage? is there another black one nearby?? sorry, but I can only barely tell where it is from that close..

but thanks for the pics of inside the engine, saves me lots of work to satisfy my curiousity!! :-)

Comment

If you're still mystified about that wire, I'll need a little more detail about where it is.

Also, is it white/green or yellow/green? It's hard to tell from the photo, since the white wires tend to turn slightly yellow over time.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Need a closer picture (use macro [flower button] on your camera) of the white area on the spark plug electrode.

If that area has a brown/coffee color to it, it's running okay.

~Adam

Comment

Is this bike stock? YES

Service/maintenance that's been done? 4 the last 6 months it's ran but work I did was new air filter with weather stripping on stock filter, Spark Plugs, 95' Kat coils, Battery, and some other stuff.

Carb work, etc? None other then run Sea Foam every few thousand miles. Did check the bowls and what not and everything was cleaned well by POS

Compression been checked? POS had it checked and everything tested good.

Electrical check? Ran through ALL that after Rectifer fried and replaced with Honda cb400. Ran all volt tests to double check grounds and what not.

I like the test information you gave Keith but I'm just going to go ahead and eventually replace it.

Comment

So on the way home today I found an additional sound that seemed to have been causing the exhaust cover to rattle (another thread). Closer inspection when I got home revealed that the #1 exhaust header had come loose. Like I could take the screws out by hand! Do you think this could attribute to any of the problems mentioned before?

Comment

Originally posted by BriTXbike
                      So on the way home today I found an additional sound that seemed to have been causing the exhaust cover to rattle (another thread). Closer inspection when I got home revealed that the #1 exhaust header had come loose. Like I could take the screws out by hand! Do you think this could attribute to any of the problems mentioned before?
                      A loose pipe at #1 could cause a little decel' popping.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X