What battery to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery reply

My battery is shooting craps as we speak. I can get a flooded at my local dealer for $30, but Batteries Plus (about two miles from my house) has a sealed unit for $50. I'm thinking for $20 more no hastle is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by qslim
      Yeah Nick, the battery chargers are not a good idea for extended periods of time. I'm assuming when you said 'dumb' you meant one that does not monitor charge and shut off accordingly. A decent battery tender will set you back sixty bucks or so, but can be plugged up to the battery indefinitely. I use it on my Deka dry cell, and haven't ever had a problem.
      Sounds like you may have charging issues, same thing I went through last spring. Have you done any rudimentary checks to see if the system is putting out any voltage?
      Any thoughts on this charger? I'd been using it as a battery tender and leaving it on regularly, but I'm not sure it actually monitors the battery condition. Am I damaging the battery by doing so?

Comment

case opacity

When I first got the bike, I installed a cheaper made-in-China conventional battery so as not to have wasted too much dough in case I couldn't get the bike running.

The battery itself works fine, but the white plastic case is too opaque to see the fluid levels without shining a flashlight through from behind. Never had that trouble with Yuasas.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
          Any thoughts on this charger? I'd been using it as a battery tender and leaving it on regularly, but I'm not sure it actually monitors the battery condition. Am I damaging the battery by doing so?
          That looks similar to the one I used to have, till it died. 1/2 amp is not likely to damage the battery. If you want to add a safety factor in, buy one of those cheap 24 hr timers, and set it to run for 8-12 hours a day.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

Wal*Mart has a computer-controlled battery maintainer charger for $17 (last one I saw was branded Black & Decker). IIRC, you could switch it between 1/2 and 2 amps maximum (although actual current is controlled by the chip), so use the lower 1/2 amp setting.

The constant 1/2 amp from that trickle charger will boil a battery dry in a few weeks.

Look for any charger that says it's "computer controlled" or that is billed as a "battery maintainer". They all use the same IC chip.

My Dad felt the need to explain this chip to me in excruciating detail a while ago -- it's a pretty amazing little blob of silicone, but I have mercifully blanked out on the nitty gritty details.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
              Wal*Mart has a computer-controlled battery maintainer charger for $17 (last one I saw was branded Black & Decker). I...

Look for any charger that says it's "computer controlled" or that is billed as a "battery maintainer". They all use the same IC chip.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I have simply not made time to look at the bike for a month, and now my girlfriend has been pestering me to get it fixed (yes, she's a keeper!)

Nick

Comment

I now have sealed batteries in my 650L, 850L, Kawasaki Voyager 1300, GoldWing 1500 and next week, my son's Venture Royale 1300. For a few bucks more than a flooded battery, you get peace of mind (not having to check the fluid level), better cranking and, most likely, longer life.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by devillox
                  I just found these... AGM for the price of acid.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YB14L...09963419QQrdZ1
                  It's a good price (maybe too good) and the seller has a good eBay rating, but the battery specs show only 120 CCA (cold cranking amps). For this type of battery the CCA should be 190-200 CCA. Frankly, I would be skeptical and suppose that the listed CCA starting power was not a misprint until proven otherwise.

The YB14L-A2 designation is a Yuasa battery type for their flooded (not AGM) battery with 190 CCA. The eBay battery is not made by Yuasa. The price is not attractive if the battery has a very low and substandard starting power rating. I would want to know who makes the battery, and the reason for the unsatisfactory CCA rating. I wouldn't buy it unless I was given a satisfactory explanation by the seller.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2006, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Ok, so my 2 year old Yusa out of my '80 GS850G was on a SMARTcharger 1 amp for TWO WEEKS and went low on water. I just tapped it off with distilled water and put it back on the 1 amp smart charger for the night. Went to start the bike this AM on the batter was real weak and died after three tries. I topped it off again and now have it charging on the 1 amp smart charger again did I fry it??

Comment

Did you take the 6 caps off the top of the battery or just loosen em up and leave em on top of the corresponding cell? I don't think that I've ever left a battery like that unattended for such a long time but I wouldn't have thought that the charger would boil off that much water.

Comment

Originally posted by shortlid View Post
                        ... I just tapped it off with distilled water and put it back on the 1 amp smart charger for the night. Went to start the bike this AM on the batter was real weak and died after three tries. I topped it off again and now have it charging on the 1 amp smart charger again did I fry it??
                        It's possible that having on the 1 amp for the night simply was not long enough.

This is the first I've seen this thread. Some good info here. I've never had a gel in a bike, only because this is my first season back and have not needed to buy one. When the time comes, it will be AGM for sure. I learned about these from the car club I belong to. I have a few "Optima" batteries for my Diesels. They have been great. Totally impressed. I'm not sure if Optima manufactures bike batteries or not.

One of the key advantages for me is the fact that if they tip, they do not leak. Also, you can mount them in most any position (good for racing applications)
                        $20 extra is nothing when you figure the damage potentially done by acid running down your chrome or painted surfaces!

Lead acid is to AGM as the VCR is to the DVD player!

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin View Post
                          By the by, Sears Die-Hard motorcycle batteries are made by Yuasa. $34.99 for the YB14L-A2 for my GS1100GL, but everything seems to be more expensive around Boston.
                          Thanks for the info - that's good to know.

Comment

Working...
                          X