Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which year model did the forks get better???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In which year model did the forks get better???

I need to swap forks on my '78 GS 750.
    Need dual front brakes and especially a smoother ride. I know my fork springs are sagged pretty badly but I don't want to buy springs untill I know what forks I will end up with.
    The Ikons on the back just pointed out how woefully inadequate the front forks are. Stiction is the problem, it takes a pretty solid bump to get the forks to slide at all.
    I know sometime in the early eighties the bikes got a lot smoother riding, with nylon bushings in the forks, air caps, or whatever else they changed.
    What year forks do I want to give me the best improvement? Are the 37mm forks from a '81 GS 850 going to work if I find a 37mm tripple clamp? Will they be much better than stock or do I need forks from a newer model?
    Anyone done this and is happy with the results? Anyone have an entire front end to sell me that will work?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

best would be forks and trees from a late model GSXR but good forks, seals, springs, fluid and brakes from a later GS like the mentioned 81 850 would be good.
    you will need to change the master cylinder to go with the twin disc.

forks and trees from a early/mid 90's GSX1100G would be very good (uses normal tubular handle bar, but they are rare and require progressive springs as the stock ones are to soft. (even for the gsx1100G)

Comment

Any 1 gen/2nd gen gsxr750/1100 stuff will work. All the steering head bearing sizes are the same. Straight bolt up...
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

My fork springs were sagged pritty good. I solved that by adding a spacer to inscrease the pre-load. 5/8" was enough of a spacer for me. As for the sticktion in the forks, you may need to rebuild them. Although they will never be GSXR cartridge forks, my forks work very well now, and do not stick like you said. Rebuild them per the manual, and don't overfill them with oil. Another thing to watch for is that someone before you may have used a thick fork oil to improve dampening ( 20W or thicker). That would make the bike ride harsh like you describe especially in the cold weather. Go to a 10 - 15W oil, and add a spacer (You cam make them for nothing) and your bike will ride a lot smoother.

Comment

Working...
        X