petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock question

I have a 79 gs 750l that has a petcock with only 2 settings,straight down for on and left for res. is that the way it was back then?Why doesnt it have a prime like all the 80s bikes.After it sits for a week how would you "prime the bowls"? or do you?

My 79 750E had res/run/pri, someone may have switched out the petcock. I wasnt aware the L model for the same year 750 had a different petcock.
    If that be the case, using choke may be your only option.

Earl

Originally posted by tconroy
    I have a 79 gs 750l that has a petcock with only 2 settings,straight down for on and left for res. is that the way it was back then?Why doesnt it have a prime like all the 80s bikes.After it sits for a week how would you "prime the bowls"? or do you?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The 77 GS750 I'm working on right now has res and run where you indicate, and prime is to the right.

Comment

I believe the first year or so after they added the fuel gauge ('79 or '80?)they removed the RES position. They figured you wouldn't need reserve since you could tell when you needed gas from the gauge. After a few years they put it back.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
          My 1979 gs1000l is the exact same way. No prime setting

Side note, where can I get a correct stock replacement cheaply?
          Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2006, 02:38 AM.

Comment

My 79 did not have a fuel guage. My 81 did. I suspect 80 then would be the first year to have a guage.

Earl

Originally posted by ptm
            I believe the first year or so after they added the fuel gauge ('79 or '80?)they removed the RES position. They figured you wouldn't need reserve since you could tell when you needed gas from the gauge. After a few years they put it back.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Petcock!

I have a '79 GS750L w/gas gauge & it too has only the left for res & down for on! That's it! It works from a vacuum.

Comment

This has a gas gauge and is the same as yours.Thanks for the info guys!!!

Comment

Petcock!

Glad to be of help! God knows I've needed more than anybody else! Are you the one that got the free bike? If so, your a very luck guy! I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for just about anything! Good luck w/yours!

Comment

i paid 150 and gave it to my father-in-law so I could work on it,at least thats the way it seem to be happening!

Comment

Petcock!

I see, keeping the the 'ol wife's father buttered up, huh?

Comment

Working...
                      X