1983 GS550L Carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550L Carb issue

I know this has a lot of talk on the forums, heres my deal. My wife was given this bike and it is in perfect condition with the exception that the carbs are missing, along with the petcock, and air cleaner. I have not gone to a dealer yet as I would guess they may look at me like I have two heads with a bike this old, maybe not from what I can read on this site.

I need to know what I need for carburetors, petcock, air filter?? I can not seem to find the answer to this question.

The bike has 1300 miles on it and I would hate to part it out as it really is almost perfect.

Thanks in advance

PKNDE

Try ebay. You may get lucky. Also find out if you can swap parts with a different year or model.

Comment

First, go to Bike bandit, and look up the schematics for all the parts you need, and write down their numbers. Next start looking for those parts on other bikes in the size range of your current ride...in particular, 650's and other 550's (ES, S G, etc). Compare your numbers to the P/N's of the other bikes and see if they match. Build a list of bikes that have matching parts and get yourself a paypal account cuz your going shopping on EBAY!! Killer deals to be had. I bought an entire front end for about 100 bucks

Comment

Ah yeah, you'll find the carbs, don't worry ... just be a little patient and you'll be able to buy something affordable!

ebay > dealers as far as prices go

Comment

In the "Parts for Sale" forum there is a person parting out two GS 550's

Might want to check that out.

Comment

For the 83, you'll need the carbs from an 83 - 85 I think are the years. The older GS's used a carb per cylinder or 4 carbs. As far as I can tell in 83 this was changed to 2 carbs.

They do come up on e-bay so keep watching, also check the bike salvage yards. They are sometimes available there.

If you need pics of the carbs, I can post or send some as mine are currently off the bike for cleaning. I have an 83 L model. I can also go out to the garage and check mine and the book for what the model numbers are if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
            X