Mobil1 0w40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shortlid
    Also my '80 GS850G with 37k on the clock has a SLIGHT oil burn at high rpm under load. I heard that if you burn ANY oil you don't want syn. in there casue it leaves deposits more than dino juice??
    Actually there is a very good reason not to use synthetic when your are burning oil and that reason is $. It is a lot less painful to run the cheap stuff through than the $4+/quart stuff. The synthetic has less viscosity breakdown, but I figure that each time I add oil I am bringing up the average viscosity anyway. The oil doesn't stay around long enough to break down. :-D

I have always used Mobil 1 in my 850. But it now has an oil usage problem (valve guides) so it gets Castrol when I find a case on sale and Dollar Store 10W-40 when I don't.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
      Most current "synthetic" motor oil is made from petroleum base stocks, but chemically altered and refined with advanced technology to such a degree that its characteristics are much the same as synthetic oil not made with petroleum. There are just a few companies making non-petroleum synthetics, which is more expensive to produce. It has been legally adjudged that the "synthetic" term is mostly about marketing, and that it can be used by products derived from petroleum that meet the same standards.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 are Group IV synthetics, which are non petroleum 'pure' synthetics...not sure if Castrol Syntech is or not....
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086
        Amsoil and Mobil 1 are Group IV synthetics, which are non petroleum 'pure' synthetics...not sure if Castrol Syntech is or not....
        Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetic, but is now Group III. Castrol Syntech is also Group III.

Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline and Motul are supposed to be Group IV oils.

Comment

I have a question: When I went to the Dealer (I hear the groans already , the guy at the counter told me I had to use oil made for motorcycles only. I paid a whopping 8 bucks a quart for a synthetic blend. Is there such a thing as oil for cars, and oil for motorcycles?? I thought oil is...OIL..?? I sure as heck dont want to keep paying this much moolah if I can get it from Wal-Mart..
          Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000
            I have a question: When I went to the Dealer (I hear the groans already , the guy at the counter told me I had to use oil made for motorcycles only. I paid a whopping 8 bucks a quart for a synthetic blend. Is there such a thing as oil for cars, and oil for motorcycles?? I thought oil is...OIL..?? I sure as heck dont want to keep paying this much moolah if I can get it from Wal-Mart..
            Thanks...
            You should find the article at Motorcycle Motor Oil to be interesting. It was written by Mike Guillory. "The author is a Chemist, retired from a major Oil and Chemical Company, after a career in the Quality Assurance of Fuels, Lubricants, and Chemical products. He and his wife both ride."

Comment

Thank you, Boondocks... Next time, it's Wal-Mart

Comment

From Boondocks' article:

Real World Test Results

Are there any "real world" examples of long motorcycle engine life using automotive oils? There is a good one in the June 1996 issue of Sport Rider magazine in a report called the "100,000 mile Honda CBR900RR." The owner used conventional Castrol GTX oil, 10W40 in the winter, 20W50 in the summer. He changed it every 4,000 miles, changing the filter every OTHER oil change. No valve clearance adjustments were required after the initial one at 16,000 miles. And a dyno test against the same model with only 6,722 miles showed torque and horsepower virtually identical. The 100,000 mile bike was even used for some racing. In a subsequent follow-up, the same CBR had passed 200,000 miles and was still going strong!
                I've always used regular Castrol GTX in my bikes and cars (rated SM, SL, SJ, SH), and never had any problems whatsoever. I just picked up two five quart jugs at Meijer (like a walmart) for $8.99 each.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin
                  From Boondocks' article:

I've always used regular Castrol GTX in my bikes and cars (rated SM, SL, SJ, SH), and never had any problems whatsoever. I just picked up two five quart jugs at Meijer (like a walmart) for $8.99 each.
                  Griffin, that's what I plan on doing next time ...wish I wasn't so hasty at the dealer, and listened to that guy.. BUT...I was just happy to get some of my m/c stuff.... A girl with a credit card is a dangerous thing

Comment

I did not see any recomended 20/50 brands in that article which he seems to agree is better in hot climates which I'm sure DFW TX counts as one.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                      Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetic, but is now Group III. Castrol Syntech is also Group III.

Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline and Motul are supposed to be Group IV oils.
                      So Mobile went with a blend instead of a pure synthetic, is that correct? And they pushed the price up 20% in the last three years.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                        So Mobile went with a blend instead of a pure synthetic, is that correct? And they pushed the price up 20% in the last three years.
                        Mobil used to make (for Mobil 1) and sell Group IV PAO synthetic stock to other producers. Castrol switched to using blends using Group III basestocks and calling it synthetic. Mobil sued them. After Mobil lost their lawsuit against Castrol in 1999, most "synthetic" oil has been made with Group III petroleum derived basestocks, which cost substantially less than Group IV PAO synthetic basestocks. Mobil has to compete, which is undoubtedly why they made the change.

Group III synthetics may contain some Group IV basestock to improve low temperature performance.

Comment

I find it interesting that the M/c oils had the highest viscosity breakdown.

Comment

Working...
                          X