Electrex Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrex Output

I am running an Electrex Rec/Reg and Stator on my 1985 GS700. How can I test the charging output of my setup?

I am interested in finding out the output capacity so I can determine what I can safely run (aux lights, accessories) without overdrawing the charging system and battery.

Thanks

The testing involves disconnecting the three stator wires and running the bike at 5,000 rpm. You then place the probe of a multi-tester in each of the three wires. + probe in one terminal and - probe in another. Keep the + probe on the same wire and check the other two with the - probe. Then move the + probe to the next wire and check the other two with the - probe. Again + on the remaining wire. Check each of the wires against the other two this way. You should get consistent 80 volt AC readings on each attempt. These are the three yellow wires under the gas tank.You want to test the ends of the wires coming out of the starter cover under the carbs.

With the stock stator you should put out 310 watts. If your Electrex unit matches the test specs then you should still be getting around 310 watts.

Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2006, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks billy,

Now, I suppose I better get the transmission back in the engine and the engine back in the frame.

I'll post the results, hopefully soon.

Comment

Not a problem. I used to run a 110 watt high beam with no trouble.

Comment

Has anyone hooked up electric gloves/boots? Do all the GSs have the same wattage or do the larger bikes have more capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
            Has anyone hooked up electric gloves/boots? Do all the GSs have the same wattage or do the larger bikes have more capacity?
            The newer the model the higher the output. The 310 watt system on the last generation of GS models had the highest output. I'm not sure what displacement bikes had the higher output. The 700's had them for sure.

Comment

I have a buyers guide from 84 that also has bike reviews from the past year (motorcyclist I think) and it has test of the 83 550,750, and 1100 GS and the 550 had the highest charging system output, I don't have it right here but I want to say it was 325watts, the 1100E output was 285watts.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                I have a buyers guide from 84 that also has bike reviews from the past year (motorcyclist I think) and it has test of the 83 550,750, and 1100 GS and the 550 had the highest charging system output, I don't have it right here but I want to say it was 325watts, the 1100E output was 285watts.
                Leon....if you get a chance could you see if it lists my bike (GR650)? Now I'm curious. Thanks.

Comment

I think I still have that same issue. I'll see if I can dig it out later today or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                    Leon....if you get a chance could you see if it lists my bike (GR650)? Now I'm curious. Thanks.
                    sorry, I do know it didn't have a test of the tempter.

the tempter is a very interesting bike that debuted several new features that the other GS never had or got.

Comment

sorry, I do know it didn't have a test of the tempter.

Figures.....thats the problem with having a 2 year series bike. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X