Accelerator Pump Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerator Pump Question

I have a 79 GS1000S that has what I think is an accelerator pump. It is located on the underside of the carbs, and dosen't appear to be connected. It has tubes that run to each carb. The carbs then have holes drilled in them where these tubes are. I can't get my pod filters to fit properly due to these tubes sticking through the carb openings. Am I correct? Is this an accelerator pump, and how can I get my pods to fit better with these tubes protruding through the side of the carb opening?

A 79 GS 1000 was manufactured with Mikuni VM mechanical slide carbs. They do NOT have accelerator pumps. No GS models, either VM or CV carb'd had accelerator pumps. You're not looking at the float bowl overflow tubes are you?
    Have a pic?

Earl

Originally posted by curt101
    I have a 79 GS1000S that has what I think is an accelerator pump. It is located on the underside of the carbs, and dosen't appear to be connected. It has tubes that run to each carb. The carbs then have holes drilled in them where these tubes are. I can't get my pod filters to fit properly due to these tubes sticking through the carb openings. Am I correct? Is this an accelerator pump, and how can I get my pods to fit better with these tubes protruding through the side of the carb opening?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Pictures would help. Almost sounds as if you have a Dial-A-Jet system on the stock carbs.

Comment

Do they happen to look anything like this?

Comment

Ok, you got me, what the he$$ are those things for?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Do they happen to look anything like this?
            Yes. There is one tube that shoots off the #2 float bowl that feeds this mechanisim. Then from there it goes to all 4 carbs. The guy that I bought the bike from said these carbs are not stock. They are 29mm, Mikuni BS type carbs. The brass fittings you see going through the carb openings are very similar though. The carbs are on the bike, so I will do my best to get a picture.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
                Ok, you got me, what the he$$ are those things for?
                Instead of installing a jet kit the Dial-A-Jet system allows you to alter the air/fuel ratio with the turn of a knob.

Comment

Working...
                X