Headlight Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Options

I think I have the stock headlight on my 85 GS700. The problem is the brackets are in bad shape (bent, loose fit) and they aren't available from JT Motorsports, my usual OEM parts supplier.

I am looking for a new bracket system or a whole new light and bracket set up.

you can buy the headlight brackets on e-bay richard. how about a bigger pic. of your avatar ? is that a g.s. ?...b.b.

Comment

It is a 1985 GS700E, or at least it was when I first got it. I bought it two years ago, completely stock except for a rusted out Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

I wrestled with the idea of completely stripping it down for about a month or two, then I just went ahead and did it.

I had the frame sandblasted and painted a beautifully gaudy red.

This is the most recent picture I have, but since this was taken I cut off the excess rear frame, switched to two bullet style LED tail lamps and added a pair of '01 GSXR Clip-Ons.

Right now I have it all pulled apart again. I took out transmission and sent it to Fast by Gast for back cutting; it has had a nasty habit of jumping out of second gear since I bought it. I am taking the opportunity to rebuild the wiring harness. I have an Electrex R/R and Stator, a Dyna 2000 Ignition and a pair of 55w Driving lights and a Venom Air/Fuel gauge I wanted to incorporate into the harness. Also, I completely removed the instrument cluster so there are a lot of wires I don't need anymore.

I am replaceing the stock fuse panel with a Centech AP-1 and adding fused relay circuits for the high (plus driving lights) and low beams. All of which I bought from http://easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/main.html.

It appears I waited a bit too long to send out my transmission, Fast by Gast is back logged with back-cutting orders so it will take three weeks turn around time.

Thanks for the eBay recommendation bobo.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

I saw this dual headlight kit for an sv650 on eBay:

Dual Headlight Kit

However, I would like to keep my stock light and just use the brackets from this kit. I asked the seller if he would ocnsider selling them seperate. We'll see.

Comment

Your not going to find a headlight that puts out much better light than the big 8" stock unit. How about brackets like these?

http://asiapac.clickandbuild.com/cnb...gLib-viewImage

http://asiapac.clickandbuild.com/cnb...dCategoryID=37

Comment

the bike looks evil ! what a good website that is. great road trip tales and everything. thanks for sharing...b.b.

Comment

I agree, I like my headlight, just not the brackets.

Those Streetworks Ltd brackets might just be the best option I have seen so far. There are cheaper sets on eBay, but they are just that, cheap.

Thanks Billy

Comment

bobo,

thanks for the thumbs up.

I hope to get my photos organized and set up a web page of my own on the build up of th GS700. Of course, it would always be out of date as I am constantly making changes to the bike.

Today I have been looking into converting to a cleaner, long lasting belt drive set up, like on the suzuki savage (aka LS650) models.

Comment

Thats a cool looking bike....why not look into a dualie setup for the headlights...it will match your mods pretty well, IMHO. A black unit would be better than this chrome one...

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Comment

CRC2 sells some cool headlight mounting ears in their "chopper parts" section:

(scroll dooooooooown)

Ooh, here's a cat face tail light. I dare you. I double-dog dare you...

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X