1980 GS 1000 1 1/2" too big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1000 1 1/2" too big

I just purchased a 1980 GS 1000 from a friend of mine (whom I am now indebted to for the rest of my life). I bought the bike sight unseen for an obscene price and I couldn't resist. It was one of those hanging out at the bar with your drinking buddies business deals that actually turned out well. $250, and all the bike needs is a tune up. I am still getting to know her, and I am wondering just a couple of things.

--Which shop manual would be the best for a do it yourselfer? Or should I just buy one of each? I've been fishing around the forum and this seems to be a matter of personal opinion... Oh, when I say do it yourselfer, this is my first bike, and I've never worked on a bike at all. However, never in my life have I taken any of my cars to a mechanic except for break jobs (just don't trust myself). My dad was one of those cheap guys that taught us how to do everything ourselves. And if he didn't know it, he would throw me a shop manual. Let's just say that Chilton and I got to know each other very well very early in my life. So I'm definatly not helpless, but not a ASE mechanic either ;-)

--Also, my new baby is just about an inch and a half (I'm thinking I'm being a little generous) too tall for me. I am about 5'4 or so and I sit on the balls of my feet when I am on it. I've ridden it a little bit like that, but it makes me way too nervous. So the question is, what is the easiest, cheapest way to fix my problem? I'm thinking a new seat, but I really don't want sacrifice comfort because I'm too damn short. My friends told me to just wear cowboy boots with a decent heel on them, but I'm kinda thinking that might be putting a band-aide on a potentially dangerous situation.

BTW: I've been lurking around for a few weeks now, and the site has been such an awesome help...I'm really proud to be among y'all. As soon as I clean my girl up a bit, I'll be posting pics of my own.

Thanks again in advance,

--Jenn

You could always reduce the preload on the shocks, or if they are on the lowest setting, you could get a set of half inch shorter shocks which should lower it enough for you. Cutting down the seat often makes longer rides really uncomfortable.

Comment

If your bike has an air fitting on each fork, you can loosen the triple clamps, and slide the forks up about an inch. this will lower the front about an inch. If your forks are connected by an air line, this won't work, as the air holes would be open to the outside atmosphere. Also there are lowering blocks for the rear. These blocks move the bottom of the rear shock back a couple of in. allowing the shocks to ride at more of an angle, in turn lowering the rear. Not sure where to find them, probably JC Whitney, Ron Ayres, Bike Bandit, or some of the other cycle suppliers.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

This is a large and powerful bike for your first bike.

So in a bar......and you get it for $250 with no riding experience?
        And it's too tall?

Forget about modifying the bike, first learn how to ride.

get it running well, put it away and take a MSF course.

www.msf-usa.org, find a course in your area.
        Then take it very easy
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
          This is a large and powerful bike for your first bike.

So in a bar......and you get it for $250 with no riding experience?
          And it's too tall?

Forget about modifying the bike, first learn how to ride.

get it running well, put it away and take a MSF course.

www.msf-usa.org, find a course in your area.
          Then take it very easy
          Now I didn't say I didn't have riding experience, just never worked on a bike before. I've also never owned my own bike, I always rode my friend's or families because my parents never really approved. Regardless, I'm already signed up for a class on the 6th. It's the first thing I did when the bike appeared in my driveway. It'll do well for my insurance, and the DMV is evil enough without trying to actually do the cycle test.

--J

Comment

Something else that might help a bit: big clunky boots. Not platform soles, just a nice thick workboot sole and heel.

Comment

Working...
            X