Timing Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Chain

Ok, here is my wild and wierd question, in the 80's when the GS bikes were in their prime they used to sell a replacemant timing chain, that was not seemless, you could cut your old chain, link this to it and pull it through, then you just used a master link, like in a drive chain.
    My question is do they still make these and if so, where can you get them, Oh I am trying to put it on a 1978 GS 1000.

Thanks

do a forum search It has been discussed before, It can be done some people say to do it others say No. Mfg say No because of the liability problems if the chain comes appart. Maybe with a rivet type master link

Comment

I really don't see the problem with joining a chain. I come from a farming background using combines with over a dozen chains on them. I have never had a master link come undone. If my timing chain needs replacement, I am going down to the local ag supplier picking up some high quality high speed chain and a master link, cutting the stock one out and feeding in the replacement. Yes, and then putting a master link on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
        I really don't see the problem with joining a chain. I come from a farming background using combines with over a dozen chains on them. I have never had a master link come undone. If my timing chain needs replacement, I am going down to the local ag supplier picking up some high quality high speed chain and a master link, cutting the stock one out and feeding in the replacement. Yes, and then putting a master link on it.
        Locating a source of chain links has been a problem for me--So you say a real aggie place should have the items needed.

Comment

I have used farm chain for the drive chain on my 77 550 and had decent luck. The only problem that a person could run in to is that most farm chains are not pre-stretched.

Comment

Ag centers and most bearing supply houses will have "straight chain", or non-O-ring chain in various sizes and strengths. Usually sold by the foot or sometimes by the link. Take a sample with you for what size and strength you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
              Ag centers and most bearing supply houses will have "straight chain", or non-O-ring chain in various sizes and strengths. Usually sold by the foot or sometimes by the link. Take a sample with you for what size and strength you want.
              ahh sooo

Comment

I never heard of no farm equipment spinning 10,000rpm and if the cam chain breaks it's $25.00 a valve plus you could destroy the head I wonder why they make heavy duty cam chains this is not an area where one should cheep out I would replace it with a good one

Comment

My bike engine since I got it has never seen more than 6000 rpm. Ag equipment run heavy loads for long periods of time without lubrication on light chain and I have never broken a chain. I replace them because they are worn but never because of breakage. I also just don't fancy taking everything apart to put a linkless chain in when I can use a master link.

Comment

Clone, he was asking about a cam chain not a drive chain big differance and you can not just pull the cam chain through you would have to remove the cams so you could turn the crank without bending the valves
                    I was wondering how many miles do you get out a farm equipment chains and there cost is it that much of a savings and you never had your bike over 6000rpm under 6000rpm your bike produces less HP then a 1973 VW Beetle the 83 GS750ES dosen't even wake up until 8000rpm oh its not the master link you have to worry about I also have never seen one break it the tensil strength of the chain thats important and I have seen many cam chains break including my own. KZ don't be crazy replace the cam chain with a good heavy duty one while your in the bottom end you can check out all the other intenal parts after all it is a 78 1000

Comment

I've never seen a cam chain break, and I work on bikes for a living. Do drag racers have a lot of problems with that?

Comment

Don, yes you are correct they are race motors I'am refering to I have not seen a stock motor break a cam chain without something else causing it to break. But a stock cam chain cost more than a good heavy duty one so why no put the good one in and save money

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer
                          Clone, he was asking about a cam chain not a drive chain big differance and you can not just pull the cam chain through you would have to remove the cams so you could turn the crank without bending the valves
                          I was wondering how many miles do you get out a farm equipment chains and there cost is it that much of a savings and you never had your bike over 6000rpm under 6000rpm your bike produces less HP then a 1973 VW Beetle the 83 GS750ES dosen't even wake up until 8000rpm oh its not the master link you have to worry about I also have never seen one break it the tensil strength of the chain thats important and I have seen many cam chains break including my own. KZ don't be crazy replace the cam chain with a good heavy duty one while your in the bottom end you can check out all the other intenal parts after all it is a 78 1000
                          My mechanic says he changes timing chains without taking the engine apart

Comment

You can get various tensil strengths of chain and price reflects the strenght, it usually has two numbers on it, one is I think shock strength and the other is load, I have been using #50-3500lbs-5000lbs as my drive chain for the last 5000kms or so. I lube it after a highway run, as it is not o-ring, and then leave it for about two tanks of gas then lube it again. So far I have only taken out a little stretch with the adjusters. Oring chain from the dealer is $140, the straight #50 -35-50 is $35 for 75links, I forget how many feet that is. So I think it is a worthwhile replacement. OOOOOHHHH NNNOOO, 8O I will still have to take out the cams to put in a cam chain? #@*# Use your favorite expletive.

Comment

My mechanic says he changes timing chains without taking the engine apart
                              Slopoke, query him how he gets a solid loop around the crank and the cams?
                              I just don't see how it is possible without pulling the end caps and engine covers.

Comment

Working...
                              X