Good bike to bike intercom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good bike to bike intercom?

My wife and I each have a motorcycle. Does anyone know a good bike to bike intercom (the cheaper the better as long as it works well)? Thank you for the information

These things are a threat to your marriage and your health -- don't do it, man! I mean it.

We had a set of NADY communicators that worked OK. However, they used walkie-talkie/CB frequencies, so they had a lot of interference and reception issues in urban areas, plus the antennas were a pain.

The part mounted to the helmet was never a problem, but it was a big pain dealing with the wire and finding someplace to put the transmitter box. It was meant to be belt-mounted, but I never found a good way to make that work with a motorcycle jacket.

All of the above problems can be solved with more modern FRS units that mount to the helmet. However, the most serious problem and the main reason we stopped using ours was the sheer distraction of operating the things and having conversations while riding.

Another problem is that the voice detection systems always cut off the first two syllables of anything you say. And if you revert to PTT (push to talk), then there's yet another ^%$#@! wire to get tangled up when you have to pee and another button to worry about operating...

Seriously, you're far better off developing a set of hand signals and stopping when you need to talk. Communicators are one of those ideas that sounds good at first but just doesn't pan out in practice.

It might work if you're riding with a buddy and you can keep it to two terse words every 10 miles or so:

"Coffee?"
    "Yep."

Now you may be married to the most wonderful, tolerant, incredible lady in the world (I am), but exclusive access to a speaker in her husband's ear does something to a woman. Something bad. She says things. Lots of things. All the time. She can't stop.

Now combine that with the fact that safely operating a motorcycle takes about 10 times the concentration level of driving a car. You know all the dangerous and annoying crap that drivers do while yapping on cell phones? You'll be doing even worse while trying to understand what the hell is going on with your wife and reply in a way that won't get you locked out of the house when you get home. Your brain just can't process everything at once.

Communicators and marriage do not mix. If you must, stick with helmet-mounted units that use GMRS or FRS frequencies with no wobbling antennae or wires to deal with.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
      Now you may be married to the most wonderful, tolerant, incredible lady in the world (I am), but exclusive access to a speaker in her husband's ear does something to a woman. Something bad. She says things. Lots of things. All the time. She can't stop.

Now thats just hilarious :-D :-D :-D

Comment

but exclusive access to a speaker in her husband's ear does something to a woman. Something bad. She says things. Lots of things. All the time. She can't stop.
        Had to quote that too...too funny!

I think you talked me out of getting an intercom system! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          Communicators and marriage do not mix.
          Words to live by! :-D

Comment

Girlfriend

Well I want to get one for my Fience and me BUT we ride doubl up on the '80 GS850G. Is there any REAL cheap wired units for riding double up??

Comment

I must be married to the greatest woman in the world. She only uses her communicator when she needs to (normally when I make wrong turn). Over use has never been a problem. We bought communicators when my wife started riding her own bike to give me more piece of mind. If she had a question she could ask or I could give suggestions if they were needed. As a new rider hand signals were out of the question for her, these worked great.

Once the communicators are set up right they work good. I find they do clip the start of the first word you say at times. I will blow into the mic lightly to activate it if it is a problem, doesn't seem to bother the other rider.

You can get a headset for your passenger that plugs into your helmet which we use when we ride together on my bike.

Take a look at this site.

Comment

If you do get an intercom system, make sure you have resistor plug caps and/or suppression wires. Without these you'll be hearing RFI from the wires constantly (although that may be better than some of the static coming from the back seat...)

Comment

Thanks but used better!

Originally posted by Scott Ferguson
                  I must be married to the greatest woman in the world. She only uses her communicator when she needs to (normally when I make wrong turn). Over use has never been a problem. We bought communicators when my wife started riding her own bike to give me more piece of mind. If she had a question she could ask or I could give suggestions if they were needed. As a new rider hand signals were out of the question for her, these worked great.

Once the communicators are set up right they work good. I find they do clip the start of the first word you say at times. I will blow into the mic lightly to activate it if it is a problem, doesn't seem to bother the other rider.

You can get a headset for your passenger that plugs into your helmet which we use when we ride together on my bike.

Take a look at this site.

http://www.collett.mb.ca/
                  Thaniks for the link but for $200+ I will look for a used system!

Comment

Working...
                  X