dyna s install problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna s install problems

ok i have everything off and i am wondering how do you get the old rotor off to put on the new one. I have the black rotor that came with the ign and i need to put it on but but how do i take off the old one. Please help
    does it matter that i broke the hex nut washer?

Loosen and remove the 14mm bolt that is threaded into the end of the crankshaft. (on top of the hex nut) Yes, you need the hex nut.

Eartl

Originally posted by odl777
    ok i have everything off and i am wondering how do you get the old rotor off to put on the new one. I have the black rotor that came with the ign and i need to put it on but but how do i take off the old one. Please help
    does it matter that i broke the hex nut washer?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yeah i have it off the crank shaft but what do i need to do next. I cant take off the old rotor on the advanced timing plate. is that what the large hex nut is for to remove the old rotor. if so ho doi take it off now that i broke it. thanks

Comment

I can't quite visualize your situation, can you get a picture showing what is broken? Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

What model and year GS are you trying to install a Dyna S on? Once you have removed the 14 mm machine screw from the end of the crankshaft, the aluminum nut will drop in your hands, I cant imagine how you would break it. The aluminum nut is not threaded. Its only purpose is to retain and sandwich the cam lobe and rotor. Its not much more than a keyed, hex shaped washer.

To remove the rotor and cam lobe, you must hold the advance counterweights at the full advance position which aligns the lock in slots allowing removal.

Earl

yeah i have it off the crank shaft but what do i need to do next. I cant take off the old rotor on the advanced timing plate. is that what the large hex nut is for to remove the old rotor. if so ho doi take it off now that i broke it. thanks

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

well being a un carful kid when i was doing my rebuild on the top end i slipped one of the oil rings off track and i put it ll togeather without thinking. Long story short i tried to rotate the motor with the big nut and broke it off. Stupid me i have done so many things wrong on this rebuild, i have taken the top end apart about 8 times not exagerating either. I now can change a headgasket in about 15 minutes no lie.
            But any way i will try taking it off tonight thanks for the help.

Comment

When you put an engine back together and before installing the spark plugs, if it takes more than two fingers on an 8" wrench, something is very wrong and you should stop and locate the problem. A properly assembled engine turns over like a sewing machine.

Earl

well being a un carful kid when i was doing my rebuild on the top end i slipped one of the oil rings off track and i put it ll togeather without thinking. Long story short i tried to rotate the motor with the big nut and broke it off. Stupid me i have done so many things wrong on this rebuild, i have taken the top end apart about 8 times not exagerating either. I now can change a headgasket in about 15 minutes no lie.
              But any way i will try taking it off tonight thanks for the help.

Comment

I have come to relize that now thanks for the info, but it is about a month late. I just thought it had a lot of compression, stupid me. thanks fo rthe help

Comment

Live and learn. :-)

Earl

I have come to relize that now thanks for the info, but it is about a month late. I just thought it had a lot of compression, stupid me. thanks fo rthe help

Comment

Working...
                  X