Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearings

Hello this is my first post. I have a 1982 suzuki gs850G with 25 k. I'm getting some tires put on and I'm thinking about having the wheel bearings replaced at the same time. What I would like to ask people here is if they've experienced wheel bearing failure. I'm pretty sure I would like to sell the bike later this summer so I don't want to put in any more money than needed.

Considering the age/mileage, any advice?

Thanks

I can't tell you if your wheel bearings are bad, but if you want to replace your wheel bearings, buy them from a bearing supply store (Look in your phone book). You will get replacements for a fraction of the dealer cost. I replaced my bearings with fully sealed units, so now I will never have to grease them.

Comment

Make sure to grease the wheel splines when you get tires Honda has some great grease to do the job. Wheel brgs are only $10-$15 pair if in doubt replace them it's not that dificult with the wheel off
      Brgs 6303NS 6303Z
      Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2006, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Do it.. Each bearing costs about $6 and anyone with a press can press them in. It's an investment in your safety really...
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Here's a great source for wheel bearings: http://www.allballsracing.com/

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Wouldn't do it

I've had several bikes over the years and never had a wheel bearing go bad. They are probably as sturdy as most vehicle barings and carry far less weight. Ask the shop that is installing the times to check them. They can be examined quickly and thoroughly by a competent mechanic. If theyr'e in good shape don't waste your money.

Comment

Originally posted by fgh
              I've had several bikes over the years and never had a wheel bearing go bad. They are probably as sturdy as most vehicle barings and carry far less weight. Ask the shop that is installing the times to check them. They can be examined quickly and thoroughly by a competent mechanic. If theyr'e in good shape don't waste your money.
              Sorry but I have to disagree. While I've never had a wheel bearing go bad either, the consequences can be pretty severe. It cost me less than $35 for front and rear wheel bearings from All Balls Racing. In my mind that's pretty cheap insurance. To each his own of course................but I've never been in a motorcycle accident either, that doesn't mean I'll ride without insurance.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

well I HAVE had wheel bearings go bad. It was a little dangerous and exciting, the bike just wobbled a lot, but it can happen. Just replace them, its so inexpensive, and it will save you a lot of trouble of picking race chunks out of your wheel

Comment

The front end feels loose and wobbles on my '80 GS850G and it only has 37k on it! The link will not sell directly??

Comment

Working...
                  X