Questions about GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about GS450L

I have an '81 GS450L. I usually have it up on the stand when it's in the garage and when I first start it and have the choke on the back tire spins even when in neutral,and spins faster the more gas I give it. Is this normal?

Also, my guages don't light up when the headlight is on, do you have to completely remove the gauge assembly to get at the bulb or can you just remove the back? And either way does the back come off without stuff falling out, like springs and whatnot?

Also, is it hard to get dents out of a gas tank? I have one on the right side and one on the top. The one on the top looks like someone punched it but the one on the side looks like it might have fallen over. Will a suction cup work? Anyone ever use that Pops-A-Dent thing on TV? I heard that you can plug the holes and pump air into the tank to get the dents out like a milkjug. Does that work?

SamuraiMacLeod
    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2006, 11:47 AM. Reason: Forgot

Originally posted by SamuraiMacLeod
    I have an '81 GS450L. I usually have it up on the stand when it's in the garage and when I first start it and have the choke on the back tire spins even when in neutral,and spins faster the more gas I give it. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal.

Also, my guages don't light up when the headlight is on, do you have to completely remove the gauge assembly to get at the bulb or can you just remove the back? And either way does the back come off without stuff falling out, like springs and whatnot?

You can replace the bulbs with just taking off the back of the clocks.

Also, is it hard to get dents out of a gas tank? I have one on the right side and one on the top. The one on the top looks like someone punched it but the one on the side looks like it might have fallen over. Will a suction cup work? Anyone ever use that Pops-A-Dent thing on TV? I heard that you can plug the holes and pump air into the tank to get the dents out like a milkjug. Does that work?

No idea.

SamuraiMacLeod

Comment

Thanks

Bump.

SamuraiMacLeod
      Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Bump

Just editing doesn't move the post to the top.

SamuraiMacLeod

Comment

Another

Another bump. Does anybody know how to get dents out of a tank?

SamuraiMacLeod

Comment

Good luck.

Another bump. Does anybody know how to get dents out of a tank?
            SamuraiMacLeod
            Guess if its a large, gentle dent you could try one of the suction cup type pullers. If not, I'd probably not bother (probably wouldn't look good anyway) & just ebay for it:

Comment

I heard that you can plug the holes and pump air into the tank to get the dents out like a milkjug. Does that work?

SamuraiMacLeod
              Sometimes, maybe, if the dent is not too bad, but you need to know the risks.
              The fuel tank is shaped like an upside down "U" so when it is pressurized the tank will tend to straighten "___" out rather than pushing out the dent unless the tank is restrained with a heavy duty strap. If the tank is sealed toooo tightly then you stand the chance of it exploding like a sheet metal bomb.....not a good thing. I have heard of some using hydraulic pressue rather than pure air which lessens the chance for castrophic explosion, but I've never had much success with either.

Comment

I recently used that "Ding King" thing on TV ($19.95 at Advance Auto) to remove a dent from the gas tank. It worked pretty darn good, you'd never know there was a fist-sized dent in the size of the tank now.

The only times it won't work is if there's an actual crease in the metal (instead of a gentle sloping edge to the dent). Other than that it should work well, the tank metal is thin enough that it pops out pretty well.

Take your time and be careful with the glue, solvent, and suction cups, and it should work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishamael
                  I recently used that "Ding King" thing on TV ($19.95 at Advance Auto) to remove a dent from the gas tank. <snip>
                  Check Amazon for it too... Good price & has reviews.

Comment

I popped out a fist-size dent (created by my fist, but never mind that...) by sticking the end of a crowbar through the top. I was able to get just the right angle to apply a little pressure and *POP* all was well.

Don't use the air pressure thing -- it's dangerous for several reasons and it doesn't really work. Air pressure strong enough to pop out a dent can cause the tank halves to spread out and make remounting the tank very difficult.

The Ding King sounds like it's worth a try, but only if the paint is in really good shape and/or you don't care.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X