Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky clutch plates?

Hello,
    The clutch on my GS1100G is not releasing properly, even with the lever pulled to the grip, and the cable adjusted according to spec. Any suggestions before I open up the cover and start replacing pieces, plates and springs? When shifting, there is only one small "sweet spot" in the lever position that allows me to change gears, but even then the plates won't disengage to allow for sitting at idle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Doug

I would replace the cable first, check the orentation of the lever at the clutch housing. Does it by chance have HD springs ???

Comment

I would replace the cable first, check the orentation of the lever at the clutch housing. Does it by chance have HD springs ???

Comment

New cable

Hello,
        Yes, the bike has a new cable, and I believe the last service did have new HD springs installed. I bought a set of OEM springs and will install them soon.

Comment

On my 850G, I also couldn't get the clutch to release at all with heavy duty springs. I went to three original and three heavy duty springs, and it's fine now. It was also really tight with new clutch fiber plates for a while, but after a couple of rides, they seemed to burnish down a bit and act reasonably.

Your best bet might be to order up six new OEM springs
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Oem

Hello,

Well, that settles it, I'll install the 6 OEM springs as soon as we get a bit of warmer weather here.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Doug

Comment

Working...
            X