trickle charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trickle charger

I have hooked up my trickle charger and hid it under the seat and Have the cord hidden also so all I have to do is plug it in when I know it will sit for a while. I use to always hook it up and take it off which has just become a pain.

Is there any harm in leaving it kooked to the battery all the time even when driving Yes I know I need to unplug it otherwise I will run out of extension cord. I don't have the paperwork anymore otherwise I would look.

I leave mine connected all the time. Mine has a cap attached to stop the terminal extension from getting dirty
    REgards
    Tv

Comment

Dig,

Are you saying that you have the entire trickle charger under the seat connected to battery? Not just the connector?
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAN
        Dig,

Are you saying that you have the entire trickle charger under the seat connected to battery? Not just the connector?
        Yes. Just like this

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
          I have hooked up my trickle charger and hid it under the seat and Have the cord hidden also so all I have to do is plug it in when I know it will sit for a while. I use to always hook it up and take it off which has just become a pain.

Is there any harm in leaving it kooked to the battery all the time even when driving Yes I know I need to unplug it otherwise I will run out of extension cord. I don't have the paperwork anymore otherwise I would look.
          It seems that this on-board charger is made to stay connected to the battery. You can download a copy of the owner's manual at Schumacher 1½ Amp Battery Charger & Maintainer.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAN
            Not all chargers have a quick disconnect apparently.

Comment

You need to secure the Trickle Charger properly so it does not rattle around and cause problems. the wires should be tied down so they don't rub through. Lastly you need a fuse right off the battery on the red lead to prevent short circuits from causing a fire or damaging the bike. Things move around ALOT when riding.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I use the same charger (go go gadget Wal*Mart), and I don't think the case is sealed. Plus, it's a hard plastic case that could be easily damaged from rattling around. I really wouldn't leave it on the bike if I were you.

Electrically speaking, it is safe to leave it hooked up to a running vehicle. It does come with a bracket for mounting under a car hood, so maybe the electronics are sealed inside. I don't think you're supposed to get it wet, though.

I got a quick-connect connector thingy set at Radio Shack. It looks like a miniature polarized two-blade plug like you might see on a household appliance, but it's intended for 12 volt connections. The on-bike female connector peeks out from the side cover, so I just plop the charger on the seat and plug it in to the bike. I put another female connector on my wife's bike so I can use the charger there, and I used a third female connector to make a harness with alligator clips for any other batteries that pass through my garage.

If you want to spend a little more money, there are smaller sealed chargers intended for motorcycles and ATVs that you can leave attached to the vehicle.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                  I use the same charger (go go gadget Wal*Mart), and I don't think the case is sealed. Plus, it's a hard plastic case that could be easily damaged from rattling around. I really wouldn't leave it on the bike if I were you.

Electrically speaking, it is safe to leave it hooked up to a running vehicle. It does come with a bracket for mounting under a car hood, so maybe the electronics are sealed inside. I don't think you're supposed to get it wet, though.

I got a quick-connect connector thingy set at Radio Shack. It looks like a miniature polarized two-blade plug like you might see on a household appliance, but it's intended for 12 volt connections. The on-bike female connector peeks out from the side cover, so I just plop the charger on the seat and plug it in to the bike. I put another female connector on my wife's bike so I can use the charger there, and I used a third female connector to make a harness with alligator clips for any other batteries that pass through my garage.

If you want to spend a little more money, there are smaller sealed chargers intended for motorcycles and ATVs that you can leave attached to the vehicle.
                  The quick connector is a great idea. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

charger!

I just found this at tools usa! I don't know if it'd work or not, & if ya have to use the whole address, but I found this by going to tools usa.com. If it does work, that'd be all right I think, if ya ride a lot in the sun! HA! But in the snow, I don't think you'd have much luck!...

Comment

Sears sells a trickle charger with a quick disconnect plug for 29.99. I've got 2 of them & they work great.

Terry

Comment

Auto Float Charger?

'http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do' I saw this one at Harbor Freight, for $8.99 Thu 3-11! Is this the same thing, I wonder? It says it works best in cold weather & during storage. While kipping your battery in a full charge w/o overcharging! It's lot #42292 & usually $16.99, but on sale Thu next month till the 12th! I think I will get one. But as far as taking it w/you on the bike, it doesn't look like it'd work for that. It sounds like it'd be okay & at a really cheap price. So if anybody knows anything about using one of these, & if there's a reason why I shouldn't get one, please let me know before I get one. All I would need it for, would be for keeping up the charge w/o overcharging while I'm down on these extended down times I seem to always get into! Thanks! Ron...

Comment

Trickle Charger Caution

Be very careful if using a true "trickle charger", which is usually a cheap unregulated charger. It is very easy to ruin your battery with one of these by leaving them connected and continuously charging at too high a voltage. This will boil the electrolyte out of the battery. Always user a timer with a trickle charger.

A much better choice is a regulated battery charger which automatically senses when the battery is fully charged and goes into "float" mode. This keeps the battery fully charged at a maintenance level. Battery Tender is one of the better known battery chargers that charge in stages and may be left connected to the battery indefinitely.

Comment

I bought the Harbor Freight $8.99 charger last week. It does shut off when charged (floating) I don't have a set up for quick connect/disconnect. Oh well, I waste 3 seconds taking off the side cover. I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe I should post in the "Buyer Review?":-D

Comment

I purchased the Deltran Corporation "Battery Tender Junior" and it came with
                              Ring Terminal Harness Accessory... Black Quick Disconnect. Contains a 3 amp fuse. The harness as a cover that clips to the "quick disconnect end" when
                              not in use.
                              This unit also came with the Alligator Clip harness that I use for winter storage when I pull the battery out of the bike.

I zip tied the harness to bike frame with the "quick disconnect end" hidden under the frame cover for easy access (out of view).
                              The charger remains with the transformer plug in the garage and the harness
                              is always with the bike.

I usually plug in the charger if I not riding the bike for more then a couple of weeks and that way the battery remains charged up all the time.

Checked the battery (fluids) this spring and it needed fluid but after three years it has remained in good condition.

$c

Comment

Working...
                              X