Dewinterizing the ol' GSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dewinterizing the ol' GSE

Well, the warm sun is starting to make a fairly substantial re-appearance in the frozen tundra and I'm itching to get back on two wheels.

Winterized the bike pretty well (I think). Had some issues before putting it down for the winter, so I'm going to have a mechanic have a go at it during it's resurrection (I don't have the tools or the knowlege for some things).

Here's a list of what i did before the freeze, what I plan to do (some things are minor/cosmetic), and what I'll have a mechanic do. Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions/additions/deletions/comments/expletives.

WHAT I DID BEFORE WINTER:
    • topped off tank and stabilized
    • changed oil and filter (used cheap-o oil)
    • fogged cylinders
    • removed battery (stored in basement with no charging)
    • covered exhaust pipes
    • centerstand and covered
    • lubed chain

WHAT I WILL DO BEFORE RIDING:
    • change oil again (with the good stuff)
    • check air filter
    • convert headlamp to halogen
    • new grips
    • find knob for brights switch
    • new spark plugs

HAVE MECHANIC DO:
    • idle/rev problem... intake boots/o-rings?
    • sync carbs
    • check oil leak at the bottom of engine... is this an issue?
    • charge and install battery
    • whatever else is needed for a general tune-up
    • general safety inspection (brakes/chain/tires/etc.)

Whaddya think?
    Find bike model and pics in my sig.
    Season #2 is underway!

I saved myself a lot of fuss then. I never stopped riding it or at least starting it, for no more than a month! The winter here in Indiana was extremely mild with every third day being in the 50's.

Now the first day of spring and it's going to snow.

Comment

Unless you know a good mechanic who is familiar with our era bikes you may wish to perform a few of the things you planned on having a mechanic do your self. A few are fairly easy and there is a plethora of information on this site as well as willing folks to help you through step by step. Besides that, it is fun and you know the work is being done right and with care...which is sometimes not the case with an unknown mechanic.

Scud

Comment

The battery is probably toast after sitting without charging for a couple of months, so expect to replace that.

I winterized my wife's Honda, since she will only ride it under a certain very rare set of meteorological, medical, astrological, and social circumstances, but I've been able to ride the GS at least once a week all winter.

The batteries in both bikes have a lead and a plug for an automatic battery maintainer/charger. Best $25 I ever spent.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Scud, no, I don't know of a good bike mechanic. Which things do you think are easy enough for someone with little experience to handle? This is only my second season with a bike. I've learned a little, but I don't trust myself to handle any internal engine work and have limited/basic tools. Sounds like the battery might be shot? So that's off the list if I have to buy a new one.

I also have to do some asking around for a trustworthy mech here in the Fox Valley.

Jealous of all you riding already. Snowed here today.

Comment

I think you should try to do most of the work yourself.You will gain knowledge of how to take care of your bike and trust it will perform.There are a lot of sloppy mechanics out there who will take advantage of people.No shop in my area will even work on these bikes except for a tire change.

Comment

I am in the same boat...I still have two feet of snow in my front yard!! The roads are clear but it is the snow during the day that thwarts me...

As far as what you can do to your bike. Well....two years ago I could not even spell motorcycle mechanic and now I am one to a certain point. As mentioned in a previous post, the folks on this website had me delving into parts of a motorcycyle I never knew existed. When I got my bike the stator went out and I was led...step by step...through the process of how to remove and re-install a new one. Everyone here on this site was VERY VERY helpful.

I went out and purchased the absolute minimum of tools and have since added a few specialty items that help with repairs. One of which is a Morgan Carbtune that is used for synching carbs. I have a 1980 GS750 with CV carbs and it took me a little while to get a routine down that worked for me to tune all four carbs without the engine overheating but I did. Since then I have synched them four more times (due to carb jet changes) and each time it gets faster and faster.

I never in a million years thought that I could work on a bike and once I started I found it not that difficult. I did purchase a Clymer manual and before performing any work read it thoroughly to familiarize myself with the manual. This was the first big step for me, oh yea, I also read Zen and the art of motorcyle maintenance, wierd as it may seem it did help me into a certain mindset.

Get yourself the basic tools, i.e. metric sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers - phillips, straight small and large size, a multimeter (and get familiar with it). The list is endless but with these basic tools you can perform many repairs, and yes, you can do them yourself.

The Clymer manual is great for routine maintenance with adequate pics but a shop manual is what you will really want eventually if you plan on keeping your bike for sometime (Ebay has them on occasion). At first a shop manual will overwhelm you but eventually you will want more information than the Clymer just cannot give you.

Hope this helps and I sure the snow around my house starts to melt faster...I am really anxious to get back to my problem...if you want to see my latest issue see the link that starts with 'Bowl levels are the same sooooo....' and see how many people have chimed in a given me suggestions for my problem. You will be blown away.

Get a battery from your local Sears, I bought a motorcyle specific Diehard, but as you will see other folks have other ideas on batteries, this one has worked for me, and install it yourself. You will need to borrow a battery charger for the initial charge (instructions on how to do this will come with the batttery) or purchase one. I have a battery tender PLUS (trademark name) that works awesome to keep the battery charged between rides or seasons, works awesome.

We are all here to help some way or another.

Scud

Comment

I wouldn't count the battery down and out yet. It is wholly possible, but I have had luck with Walmart batteries lasting through the winter unmaintained. I am not advocating such treatment, just that you might be ok battery-wise. Be prepared either way, I'd say.

I second (third) the recommendation to do as much as you can on your own.

To build a basic tool kit I'd recomend a set of metric sockets, a set of metric crecent wrenches, some good screwdrivers of varying sizes (good fitting screwdivers will help keep you from stripping heads), a set of metric allen head drivers, and a manual, Haynes or Clymer. The manuals will walk you through each procedure step by step.

If possible I'd spring for an impact screwdriver, they will even further help you extract old stuck screws. Another pretty useful tool is a good multimeter.

Anyways you shouldn't need too awful much to get you started, jump in and join the grease-monkey gang Be glad you have a twin, 1/2 as much to fiddle with, I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wisco Kid
                  Scud, no, I don't know of a good bike mechanic. Which things do you think are easy enough for someone with little experience to handle? This is only my second season with a bike. I've learned a little, but I don't trust myself to handle any internal engine work and have limited/basic tools. Sounds like the battery might be shot? So that's off the list if I have to buy a new one.

I also have to do some asking around for a trustworthy mech here in the Fox Valley.

Jealous of all you riding already. Snowed here today.
                  Put your location in your profile and maybe another GS member nearby could help you out. You could learn a few things and borrow some special tools until you get comfortable. Check the battery water level and add some if it is low, Sometimes that brings them back to life.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X