No announcement yet.

Dead 1150 30 miles from home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have yet to test the bike fully. I tryed the 2-3 connection with no reading again at moderate revs. 2-3 leads from the stator ACV 250 setting.

I did wire as you stated, directly to the rectifier, eliminating the lighting loop.

I rode it today, with no issues, but if was a short 30 mile ride with one stop and restart.

I have a large family living next door, so finding a moment to rev to 5000 rpms is a little dicey.

Kinda like the opening scene is Worlds Fastest Indian at 6 in the morning. Great movie by the way.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

When you get a chance, check the stator AC output on all three phases. with your only checking one phase and getting a reading of zero, I am still not certain you're making the connection correctly. although, I dont know how you could incorrectly connect two wires to a meter. :-) I've never seen a stator simultaneously lose output on all three phases. I guess it could happen though.
      If you get a reading on either of the other two phases, we at least know you have the meter hooked up correctly and can be certain the stator is bad. Stators arent cheap, so it would be nice to be positive its faulty before buying another one.

Earl

[QUOTE=Carter Turk]I have yet to test the bike fully. I tryed the 2-3 connection with no reading again at moderate revs. 2-3 leads from the stator ACV 250 setting.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm very, very interested in this thread because this is exactly whats happening to me. (See my Sunday adventure thread in the common forum).

My 83' 750 did the exact same thing yesterday. I ended up having to bring back a second freshly charged battery to make it home. Once home, I checked the volts while sitting (13), and then when idling...dropped to 11....etc.) Obviously its not charging.

I then removed the 3 wires from the stator and did the exact same test you mentioned...and all three came back zero! So I have the exact same problem.

This morning I ordered a new stator from ElectroSport. The prior owner didn't seem overly bright with cycles and I replaced the old original starter two weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure the original stator has never been replaced.

The bummer about this, besides the cost is that I had just replaced the oil last weekend, and now I'll have to redrain and do it again in order to take off the left side cover to get to the stator.

...Please let me know how your big bike situation works out and if replacing the stator fixes it!

Comment

Originally posted by spartanpele
          ...The bummer about this, besides the cost is that I had just replaced the oil last weekend, and now I'll have to redrain and do it again in order to take off the left side cover to get to the stator....
          A little oil will come out when the stator cover is removed, but it won't drain the crankcase since it's above that level. You don't need to drain your oil before you replace the stator, just top it off to replace the amount released from the removal of the cover.

It will help to keep excess oil from draining if your bike is leveled, as on a centerstand. If you could lean it to the right by bracing it against a wall, it might even be better.

Comment

spartanpele,

You're a little farther along than I . I have yet to find a moment to test the third leg, but the other 2 are showing zero as well.

I spent a few hours with the fairing off checking my ignition switch and noticed the grey wire was rather corroded. I spent some painstaking minutes, more like an hour trying to remove the female flat connector from its housing to graft a better wire.

That little brass tang that holds it in place was giving me fits.

I may get it sorted by the weekend, but would feel better if mechanic buddy takes a look to confirm my testing.

Boondocks is right about leaning the bike, it works. I took off my oil filter plate on a bank with the front wheel pushed up on a hill when my oil cooler lines touched the exhaust pipe on a ride 250 miles from home.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

dont forget the obvious, maybe your key connection is bad?
              -darren

Comment

Well I had a friend check the electrical output on my Stator and confirmed all leads are dead. I checked two of the leads and never got to the last one thinking I was doing something wrong with no readings.

He got the same reading of zero on all three legs.

There is no juice coming from the stator to regulate.

I had him test another rectifier and I think he said the ohms were about 5 across the board.

Would you folks say get a rewound stator or buy a new aftermarket one and go with a Honda RR?

My Electrex didn't last long on the wifes bike and it hardly is even ridden. I'd like to try another brand.

I'm willing to spend some money and looking for something that will last as long as the originals which did well considering the isssues these bikes have.

13 years for the RR and 10 for the stator.

Anyone know if K&L stuff is junk?

Comment

I've had good luck this past year with Ricks on the 1150.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
                  Well I had a friend check the electrical output on my Stator and confirmed all leads are dead. I checked two of the leads and never got to the last one thinking I was doing something wrong with no readings.

He got the same reading of zero on all three legs.

There is no juice coming from the stator to regulate.

I had him test another rectifier and I think he said the ohms were about 5 across the board.

Would you folks say get a rewound stator or buy a new aftermarket one and go with a Honda RR?

My Electrex didn't last long on the wifes bike and it hardly is even ridden. I'd like to try another brand.

I'm willing to spend some money and looking for something that will last as long as the originals which did well considering the isssues these bikes have.

13 years for the RR and 10 for the stator.

Anyone know if K&L stuff is junk?
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

C'mon...bring that Kat over here...

We can clean that green fur off the wires...see how far we can toss those crimp connectors into the field...fire up the 'ol soldering iron...quaff a few Moose Drools...rev it to 5K all day, no neighbors to complain. Bring any manuals you have.

We can sort this out. I'm pretty sure of that. I'll be around tomorrow (Sat, 4/1).
                    Give me a call.
                    C'mon now.

Ted

Comment

My wife kicked me and my son out of the house today for a baby shower. So I went to Canada to see if I could find a stator and RR.

I also wanted to check out Katmans quiver since I was in the neighborhood, and have asked him for various parts over the years, but never bought any.

Didn't have a number for him so I went to a shop that sells new and used parts. Well they don't anymore, that was 5 years ago.

They did have a Ricks RR, I think and I probably paid to much for it, but it had the 5 spade set up with the positive locking clips like the stock 1150.

No stator though, so they sent me to another town to a salvage shop. I found it and the guy hooked me up with a used stock stator.

Probably not the best move on my part, but he tested it and admitted it was still working, but he did not know how long it would last.

What I should have done was send the first one off 3 months ago, when I pulled one off my wifes bike for the same symptoms my bike is having.

I installed it this afternoon without draining the oil and using the same gasket. I'll try to do the test Earl mentioned and post.

Comment

I went for a hundred mile ride today before I did the stator and rectifier test.

I figured if its working proper, I won't get stranded. Rather unscientific, but conclusive.

I went up to friends house after the ride, where I could rev the too loud Kerker to 5000rpms to test the stator legs. Still waiting for a quieter can.

They all averaged about 100 volts. The RR netted 14.25 vdc @ 5000rpms.

So my charging system is working? Do those numbers sound reasonable?

Comment

14.5 volts is just what it should be....

Comment

All three 'legs' of the stator were 85-120 ACV at 5000+ RPM.
                            14.25 DCV (at the starter relay) at 5000+, with the high-beam on.

That is a PASS. Carter's Kat is charging.

Glad to see all those soldered connections too...well done.
                            Just say NO to crimp connectors.

Now pray it stays that way until I get a bike of my own running.
                            The 1052 "Super Ninja" is getting awful close...
                            Then we'll go out and play. I'm likin' the look of those pics you brought along.

It's not TOO loud...I like it.
                            But I think we need to mount the can better.

Ted
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X