No announcement yet.

Help Starting...Fresh Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im pretty sure a $12,000 engine with no oil pressure doesn't sound good!!

After some creative juggling of shims and a lot of luck all of the valves are in tolerance and all of the cylinders now have relatively equal compression. But its not done yet, this bike is going to fight all the way.

I can tell from the plugs that 1,2, and 4 are firing but #3 I still dont know, if the electrode and post are not wet can I assume its firing even if it has no color. Also the plug in #4 is very grey and it keeps caughing out the carbs. Like I said the carbs are spotless, new orings, DJ kit w/ 138 main jet, e-clip 3rd from the top, pilot screw 1 1/2 turns out, and air screw 1 3/4 turns out. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgriz
      haha, yeah I am overjoyed that there was no clink clatter kaboom... belive me. I'll try and get someone to come out and take a look at the points cause they very well could be wrong. It looks as if they are functioning correctly but what do I know...

Anyway, it is not the coils. I switched the wires around and it ran the exact same. I took the cam cover off to check valve clearences (which my machinist said were dead on) and oil spilled out everywhere, so thats a good thing. But despite what my machinist said the intake valves on both 1 and 3 are tight. Now to fix that... hopefully I have the shims I need. Thanks again

Oh and why would one pipe be getting noticeably hotter than the other, I am posotive that the carbs are set up the exact same, except for maybe the pilot and air screws?
      If the carbs are way out of sync then one pipe can get a lot hotter than the others.

Set the valve clearances then move on to syncing the carbs.

Comment

Ok so after some tinkering around and running it some more I believe it is hiting on all cylinders now, but it still sounds like crap... I pulled the plug caps while it was running and all had an effect on the engine rpm. However some effected it much more than others. I also noticed that when I pulled some of the plug caps, other than getting shocked myself I could see an arc from the wire to the block thats not normal right?? I have new coils, wires, and a Dyna S coming on thursday so Im not going to worry about this yet.

Additionally, after warming it up completely it really didnt want to idle at 1,000. It did, but it sounded like it was really strugling, would this be an effect of poor spark or possibly the carbs not being synched? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X