GS850G Electrical Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Electrical Problem?

I just bought a 1982 GS850G. We got it started on two cylinders. After shifting plugs and such, we got fire from all four plug wires, but it was very weak on all sides. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

problems

I have a 82 850GL and I've seen this too. The thing that seemed to help mine the most was simple. Take all the wiring connectors loose one at a time and clean . I found 600 grit sand paper to work well. Just don't disconnect all of them at the same time.Get some contact cleaner to spray in the ones you can't sand.

Comment

Disconnect the orange/white 12v positive power supply wires from the coils and check voltage on the wires with a multimeter with the ignition switched on.
      compare it to voltage at the battery terminals. Ideally, it should be about the same. (with headlight off)
      You wont get a decent ignition spark is there isnt sufficient voltage.

Earl

Originally posted by Grif
      I just bought a 1982 GS850G. We got it started on two cylinders. After shifting plugs and such, we got fire from all four plug wires, but it was very weak on all sides. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try that next and see if that works. Do you know what current the ignitor outputs to the coils?

Comment

The ignitor doesnt power the coils. The ignition switch powers the coils. The ignitor is only a switch on a pre-existing circuit. If the spark plugs are firing, the ignitor is working. Its an on/off. Either it works, or it doesnt.

Earl

Originally posted by Grif
          Thanks. I'll try that next and see if that works. Do you know what current the ignitor outputs to the coils?
          Last edited by earlfor; 03-22-2006, 01:30 AM.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. We changed out the spark plugs and got it running on all 4 cylinders. Looks like the next step will be cleaning the #3 & 4 carboretors...

Comment

Working...
            X