Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find stop light switch Assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find stop light switch Assembly?

Hello all,
    I have a 1978 GS750E and when I squeeze the front brake handle the brake lamp does not light up. I believe the switch is bad, any ideas where to find one? I looked on Alpha Sports and Bikebandits, but they do not sell them for this specific bike. They sell it for the 750C,EC,N and EN.
    Will any of these models fit on my model? Any advice will be helpful.
    As soon as I take some pictures I will post them. I just put a four into one exhaust with a muffler from a 1998 Katana, looks good. I am having the carbs rebuilt as we speak also.
    Thanks
    Allen

All of the models you listed are the same. I have also found GS1000,1100,1150 and 450 to use that same switch. I suspect the switch is the same for all GS models.

Earl

Originally posted by dewey11803
    Hello all,
    I have a 1978 GS750E and when I squeeze the front brake handle the brake lamp does not light up. I believe the switch is bad, any ideas where to find one? I looked on Alpha Sports and Bikebandits, but they do not sell them for this specific bike. They sell it for the 750C,EC,N and EN.
    Will any of these models fit on my model? Any advice will be helpful.
    As soon as I take some pictures I will post them. I just put a four into one exhaust with a muffler from a 1998 Katana, looks good. I am having the carbs rebuilt as we speak also.
    Thanks
    Allen
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-22-2006, 12:48 AM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl,
      Thanks for the information. I didn't want to order the part and it not fit and have to return it.
      Thanks again,
      Allen

Comment

i just ordered one from cycle-re-cycle. hthttp://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

Comment

JUst a tip, if you want to take the switch apart and try cleaning the little U shaped brass contact slider, loosen the pinch bolt to handlebar on the right lever assembly and rotate the assembly until it is upside down and the switch is on the top. Then you can take off the little cap, remove the tiny parts and see what you're doing without bits and pieces falling out and bouncing on the floor.
          (be sure your brake fluid cap is on securely :-) ) and.......do NOT squeeze the brake lever with the reservior upside down.

Earl

Originally posted by dewey11803
          Earl,
          Thanks for the information. I didn't want to order the part and it not fit and have to return it.
          Thanks again,
          Allen
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for all the information, I will try cleaning it first. That seems to be the cheapest and easiest remedy first and I had not thought of that.
            Thanks
            Allen

Comment

If you can afford it I would replace the switch with a Hydrolic operated switch
              around $20. You can install it and forget about it, it will ALWAYS work

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                If you can afford it I would replace the switch with a Hydrolic operated switch
                around $20. You can install it and forget about it, it will ALWAYS work
                where might one find one of these switches?

Comment

If you do turn the brake resivour/lever/ectera upsidedown, I would also suggest that you cover the tank and/or take care to have the bar turned away from the tank. If any brake fluid were to drip out of resivour you probably will not like what will happen if it drips on the paint of your tank.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by swhomrig
                    where might one find one of these switches?
                    Here.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...0switch&page=1

Works great. Never had trouble again and it's simple to install.

edit: Problem is I forget which one it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                      Here.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...0switch&page=1

Works great. Never had trouble again and it's simple to install.

edit: Problem is I forget which one it is.
                      PART NO. 21-0369 fits front and rear brake master cylinders on most Japanese street and off-road motorcycles; 10mm dia. x 1.25mm thread pitch
                      PART NO. 21-0370 fits most European motorcycles; 10mm dia. x 1.00mm thread pitch

Comment

I'm just wondering, how is one of these hydraulic switches installed? Does it replace the bolt that holds the brake line fitting at the master cylinder?

Thanks...

Comment

Yep, you just replace the bolt that's there.

Comment

Working...
                          X