1150e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150e

Hello everyone, I am back, if you remember last time I was trying to explain the buzz problem I was having with the 86 1150e, these are the suggestions I followed; I replaced the pet cock with pingles, I readjusted the valves to 0.12.7 then I synced the carbs. well I took it for a long ride today and this is what happening; 1st 2nd 3rd 4th gears a lot of power. 5th gear goes up to 80mph.at 5000. rpm and stops there I would be rolling the throttle to the max and could not make the neither rpm nor speedometer go higher. and the buzz is there. any thoughts?

ard

On my 1150, the powerband starts at about 6300 rpm. For accelerating I would be in 3rd or possibly 4th at 80. Mine is kind of sleeping at 80 in 5th. Thats like being in overdrive. :-)
    What is the compression PSI?

Earl

Originally posted by ard
    Hello everyone, I am back, if you remember last time I was trying to explain the buzz problem I was having with the 86 1150e, these are the suggestions I followed; I replaced the pet cock with pingles, I readjusted the valves to 0.12.7 then I synced the carbs. well I took it for a long ride today and this is what happening; 1st 2nd 3rd 4th gears a lot of power. 5th gear goes up to 80mph.at 5000. rpm and stops there I would be rolling the throttle to the max and could not make the neither rpm nor speedometer go higher. and the buzz is there. any thoughts?

ard
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

1150e

Hello again Earl, tomorrow I will go out and try to find the powerband (Am I saying it the right way)? in another words I should accelerate at lower gears to get to 80?. I am turning red already, but I know I will get the best suggestion here.

ard

Comment

My 1150 is geared a bit tall so it can loaf along at a low rpm and high mph, so to accelerate from 80, I go back to 3rd gear if I want brisk acceleration. Just run through the gears so that youre starting each gear at 6K rpm. If everything is right, It should pull all the gears nicely. The rpm drop per gear is about 1200, so if you run it up to 7200 and shift to 2nd, that should put you starting 2nd at 6K. If you run 2nd gear up to 7200 and shift, you'll be going into 3rd at 6K. Only problem is when you run it up to 7200 in 4th, and shift to 5th, you're going to be flying. The powerband is between 6K and 7500 rpm. I suspect you're bogging down the engine and simply not letting it have enough rpm to breathe right. :-)

If I drop two gears down an rap the throttle at 80, the thing will almost suck the helmet off my head. LMAO

Earl

Originally posted by ard
        Hello again Earl, tomorrow I will go out and try to find the powerband (Am I saying it the right way)? in another words I should accelerate at lower gears to get to 80?. I am turning red already, but I know I will get the best suggestion here.

ard
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

1150e

Thank you Earl, I will try that today, hopfully I'll find a strip where I can go that fast. Itll be fun.

ard

Comment

My experiences from the 1150 is somewhat different.

On my bike I can just roll the throttle in fifth gear as long as the speed is in excess of 40 mph.
            That is despite the fact that I am running a bigger front sprocket. So when opening the throttle
            at 80 mph, like you describe, it accelerates strongly without any hesitation.

In my opinion something is malfunctioning on your bike, either the fuel delivery or the ignition.
            My guess would be that you have a fuel starvation problem in one one or two of the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikael
              My experiences from the 1150 is somewhat different.

On my bike I can just roll the throttle in fifth gear as long as the speed is in excess of 40 mph.
              That is despite the fact that I am running a bigger front sprocket. So when opening the throttle
              at 80 mph, like you describe, it accelerates strongly without any hesitation.

In my opinion something is malfunctioning on your bike, either the fuel delivery or the ignition.
              My guess would be that you have a fuel starvation problem in one one or two of the carbs.
              Like he said.

Buzz? What's that mean?

You may want to clean your carbs and check the tank for rust. Boots leaking?

If you have fuel, good compression, and spark, that thing should fly.

Comment

1150e

The tank is free of rust, it is clean. I just put manual pingle pet cock. At first gear, or second, or third, the bike has take off power, no question. As for the carbs, before and now it idled, and idles very good, it does not bog or anything like that. Question to you all; this is not a challenge to anyone, it is purely educational for me, so everyone understands I am not trying to offend anyone's opinion or suggestion. and I appreciate everybody's help! if the carbs are dirty or clogged, would the bike idle smooth? as for the buzz; to explain better, it is like radical basket rattle at 3500rpm. To be able to ride this bike, I pulled friction discs from an old gs1000 engine, measured the wear of the friction pads, looked good and I am using them. as of this afternoon I ordered new discs and I'll do an oil change also. I definitely need better understanding of how else I can fix, if there is fuel problem, I dont know how to figure out if the fuel is going to the engine or somewhere else. Before the pingle, we determined that I had leaky diaphragm in the Suzuki pet cock, so I replaced it. now I have to look somewhere else if that is the case. but where?

ard

Comment

The idle circuit and the main circuit (in the carb) are different. Hence, you can idle fine and then have poor partial or full throttle response. Take off power in low gears doesn't tell much since, on an 1150, it can run on 2 cylinders and have plenty of power for that. If you nail it in 2nd, does it scare the crap out of you? If not, then you have a problem. (I'm sure Earls heart pumps doing that after owning one for years)

As for the rattle, it may have nothing to do with the poor throttle response. It sounds like your clutch. You may have to pull it (basket and all) and look at it thoroughly. It's not a big job, but to inspect the entire clutch you need to do that. Otherwise you are just shotgunning the problem by replacing parts.

I'd pull my carbs and clean, and inspect them thoroughly and check for any vacuum leaks.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

1150e

Hungryman, I agree with you, that the rattle has nothing to do with the throttle, I will not short cut anything, I am trying to isolate the problem so I can work on that. if I take the clutch basket out to replace the discs, and inspect the metal discs and the measurments of the springs, what else sould I look in there.
                    As for the carb, I dont know why I am hesitant to tear it apart and inspect it, however if we isolate the problem to the carbs, I'll go ahead and dismentle the carbs. we'll see.

ard

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      ...If I drop two gears down an rap the throttle at 80, the thing will almost suck the helmet off my head. LMAO Earl
                      Happy to hear you took everyone's advice about ditching the scarf and moving up to a helmet!

Comment

I'd let the bike sit overnight then start it up, then quickly touch each exhaust pipe to see if they are all hot. If you find a cold pipe check that plug, coil, carb.

Could be a torn cv carb diaphram, or maybe to small main jet's. As for the rattle check the chain guard, rear brake torque arm for being loose and the chain too.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                        X