Still won't run (GS550)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still won't run (GS550)

Well tried everything but it won't run. Sparkes fire, sparkes are also wet of gas. Push start won't help, startermotor truns but the engine won't run.

Please could someone help me?

Thanks

Erik

GS550 Won't Run

Pardon me but I'm new. How long have you had this problem. Normally if it stops running, the first question I ask is "What did I do last?"

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

Did you get the ignition timing checked? I believe your GS550 came stock with points ignition and the timing can change over time, was it spitting and coughing before?

Comment

Still won't run

No i had everything checked by a motorshop, and it ran fine. But after a few days in the garage i simply won't run.

Comment

Still Not Running

If I let my GS550EC sit too long, it doesn't wanna start until the carbs are full of gas again. I tend to not use to the Bypass on the petcock. I believe the petcock doesn't allow gas to pass until a vacuum opens it.

Am I right gang?

Pete in Post Falls (Idaho)

Comment

Re: Still Not Running

Originally posted by Pete in Post Falls
            If I let my GS550EC sit too long, it doesn't wanna start until the carbs are full of gas again. I tend to not use to the Bypass on the petcock. I believe the petcock doesn't allow gas to pass until a vacuum opens it.

Am I right gang?

Pete in Post Falls (Idaho)
            You're right about the petcock, if it is vacuum operated. My suggestion is to be sure the battery is fully charged, put petcock in prime for a few seconds, full choke, no throttle and crank. If it doesn't fire right off, spray a small amount of starter fluid in air cleaner box and give it another try. Get back to us if this procedure doesn't work.

Comment

Still Don't Run

I don't know about Erik's, but mine has a drain tube from each carb to take the excess gas from each carb when it overfills.

I had a bike that got the plugs wet OK. Only with water from the tank.

I agree with the starter fluid as long as you don't use too much!

Well Erik what's the latest?

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

I have had points oxidize enough to not make contact before. I don't know how long your bike has sat, but a quick swipe with emory cloth will clean them up without changing the gap too much. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

My 79 GS750L is very hard to start if it sits for a week or more. Unfortunately, it does NOT have a prime position on the petcock. I need to suck on the vacuum line to the tank in order to prime the carburetors. :? After doing that, a shot of starter fluid into the airbox usually is enough to get it to run.

If you have spark, make sure you have good gas. As Pete mentioned, water in the tank is bad news. Normally, with the petcock in the "run" position, it sucks fuel from a few inches above the bottom of the tank. Since water (and dirt) are more dense than gasoline, this keeps contaminants out of the carburetors. But in the "Reserve" position, fuel comes from the bottom of the tank, which can introduce dirt and/or water into your carburetors. I don't know where the "prime" position gets gas from, but if it takes gas from the bottom of the tank, you could be in trouble.

Just a thought, but if your plugs are wet and your fuel is clean and fresh, you could have a flooding problem. Perhaps your float valves are leaking or stuck open, causing the fuel level in the float bowls to be too high.

Good luck.

Comment

Well still nothing

I have cleaned the sparks, put in new gas, cleaned the tank. It still won't start. Anyone have any last suggestions?

Could you connect a car battery or something else because my motor battery dies out after starting it so many times?

Thanks

Erik

Comment

Still Won't Start

IF starter fluid doesn't work, its really strange. You mean you had NO POPS or backfires with the Ether but you DO have spark?

Only two things I can think of:

1. As long as they are both 12 volts jumpering in a car battery should work.

2. After itfixed or comes out of the shop, PLEASE let us know what it was!

You didn't (don't ) hear any strange noises while you're cranking it do you?

Good Luck!

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

Working...
                      X