Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 vs. 82 GS850GL exhaust

Hi all.
    I'm trying to find a new chrome exhaust to fit my 82 GS850glz, but no one seems to make one. Jardine has a new 4-1 black unit, but I'd really like to find a chrome one. I've found Vance / Hines has a new chrome set up for an 81 GS850L, but it isn't listed as fittiing an 82. So my question is does anyone know what the difference is between and 81 and 82. Could the new exhaust be modded to fit. I didn't know if it was a clearance problem, or maybe a different mounting.
    Thanks in advance.
    Matt

82 Suzuki GS850GLZ w/ 22,000 mi.
    82 Suzuki GS850GLZ w/ 52,000 mi. currently disassembled for restoration.
    80 Suzuki GS550E w/ 25,000 mi.
    80 Yamaha SR250G w/ 8000 mi.

I'm not a pro, but I was just looking for the same exhaust for the same bike. I was told the difference is the mounting tabs on the mufflers are in different places. On mine it says it fits either a 750 or 850. I just picked up a nice used exhaust on e-bay for mine when it finally needs to be replaced.
    Good luck

Comment

[QUOTE=matterri]Hi all.
      I'm trying to find a new chrome exhaust to fit my 82 GS850glz, but no one seems to make one. Jardine has a new 4-1 black unit, but I'd really like to find a chrome one. I've found Vance / Hines has a new chrome set up for an 81 GS850L, but it isn't listed as fittiing an 82. So my question is does anyone know what the difference is between and 81 and 82. Could the new exhaust be modded to fit. I didn't know if it was a clearance problem, or maybe a different mounting.
      Thanks in advance.
      Matt

I would say the difference is, A 1981, the place where the muffler mounts to at the rear is part of the frame, A 1982 has those cast aluminum pieces bolted to the frame changing the aft mounting location, you probly could make something work though,a little creativity at the local hardware store and some strip steel you are on your way, I have a 1980 850L and I really like that Vance and Hines chrome pipe.

78 GS 1000EC
      80 GS 1000GT
      80 GS850 GT
      82 GS550MZ
      82 SP250Z

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I figured it was probably just a different rear mount, but I hated to spend $300 to find out I was wrong. Thanks a lot for the info. Guess I'll go ahead and buy the vance / hines unit. I think I should be able to come up with a new way to mount the muffler without too much problem.
        Matt

Comment

Working...
        X