Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V&H Megaphone Street Exhaust & My Centerstand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H Megaphone Street Exhaust & My Centerstand?

I'd like to replace the rotting exhaust system on my GS1000GLX. I've tried the Parts section of this site and my local salvage yard ($150 for one that's almost as bad as mine!).
    I searched the web and found a Vance & Hines - Megaphone Street Exhaust System that looks good for $260 it specified that the oil filter and drain were accessable but nothing was metioned about the CENTER STAND. Does anyone know if I can keep my precious center stand with this exhaust system?

My Dennis Kirk catalog says you may keep your centerstand. DK is also $25.00 more! Looks like you found a deal.

Comment

When I bought my other bike (75 Honda CB750), it had a 4-into-1 exhaust on it, and the previous owner removed the center stand. The reason was, on that bike, the only thing that kept the center stand off the chain was a bumper on the left hand muffler. I rigged up a bumper so I could replace the center stand, and eventually replaced the exhaust with a MAC 4-into-2 system, which I think cost around $300.

On my 79 GS750L, there is a bumper for the center stand on the frame, near the rear footpeg. Assuming that your bike has a similar stop for the center stand, you may be in luck. I'm not looking at the bike right now, but I would guess that you should have plenty of clearance for the pipe and the stand.

Comment

I have a V&H chrome megaphone on my '79 GS1000en,and it does not interfere with oil filter or require stand removal.Just be carefull to tighten bolts evenly ,so pipe does'nt 'tweak'.Also,I advise new exhaust gaskets.I had some trouble getting things to seal,old ones would make it nearly impossible,and you better NOT overtighten.Also,(if your pipe is the same)the fixed flanges required me to install 5mm LONGER bolts to get enough thread bite.I had an old 'RC' 4/1, and it's fixed flanges were welded a bit closer to header opening,about 5mm.So measure for any difference(more OR less)so you don't strip, or dead end.I believe bolts come in 5mm incriments.Hope this was helpfull. KK
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the info on the V&H/centerstand.
          I have seen so many posts re: Ebay that I checked it out yesterday and now I may go that route instead. I never bought anything used without seeing it first though, so I haven't decided which way to go yet.

Comment

eBay

I have had a lot of luck with eBay. I've purchased fenders, reflectors, airboxes, chain guards, and a gas tank. I've also purchased some tools and other stuff. I've never had a problem.

It is always a good idea to check the seller's feedback before bidding, to make sure they have kept their customers happy. Also, if the seller hasn't described the part completely, don't be afraid to ask questions about condition of the parts before you bid.

Comment

You will need a centerstand stop. V & H, in the early "80"'s, came with one. It's no problem to fabricate one.

Comment

You could use studs on your exhaust ports but they look pretty ugly as they rust. This would give you the added length needed and you can heat them with a torch for removal.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X