Tire sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire sizes?

I finally made the purchase of two mag wheels to upgrade the spoked rear and upgrade to dual discs in the front. The front wheel I bought has a really good tire on it, and I plan on using that. The rear is completely shot. It is just the standard mag wheel, it came from an 81 GS750E. The tire size on it right now is 130/80-18. Is that the standard size for this wheel? What other sizes could I use? It seems a little tough to find that size. ALso, any recommendations on brand/models of tires that are fairly inexpensive but still a quality tire would be appreciated. Can't wait to get the front suspension sorted out, got the wheels, forks, and calipers so I need to reuild the forks and put it all together now!

Check with dennis kirk.... denniskirk.com . They have various sizes for 18in wheels.. I have a gs550 with the 18 inch rear and have the same issue with finding a good size.. but they do list them..

Joe

Comment

Dennis Kirk seems to be very expensive for tires. Maybe I am using the site incorrectly, but I don't see a way to just dial in for 18" wheels. Plus the fact that I am not sure what sizes I can actually use :-)

Comment

Just wanted to make sure this didn't get overlooked... can anyone chime in as to what size tires came stock and/or work with stock rear mag wheels?

Comment

My 79 750 stock tire rear tire size was 120/90/18. I always used a 130/90/18.
          I've been getting mine from http://www.tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tires.htm
          Prices are pretty decent.

Earl

Originally posted by pasteurized
          Just wanted to make sure this didn't get overlooked... can anyone chime in as to what size tires came stock and/or work with stock rear mag wheels?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Another vote for Tiresunlimited.com if you're mounting your own.

Cheng Shin Himax tires are great if you're on a budget. I've happily roosted through three or four sets, getting about 6,000 to 8,000 hard miles out of each, although I ponied up for Dunlops this time. Don't get the "Marquis" Cheng Shins -- they're crap.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I recommend looking at www.motorcycle-superstore.com, they really good prices. I just ordered a set of sport Demons for a $150. You get "free" shipping on orders over $100 for the rest of the month, but there was a $10 handling fee for my order.

Comment

Which of these sizes would be better?

120/90H18
                130/90H18

Like I said before, it has a 130/80/18 on it now...

Comment

if the 130 fits, I would choose that because you probably have a much wider tire selection. But if you're not looking for an expensive high performance tire, that's not really an issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X