Coming out of storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming out of storage

Ok I am pretty stumped, I am trying to get my 80 GS1100 running after it was in storage for years. I have gone over the entire electrical system, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, and replaced the battery. But when I turn the key nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am dying to ride

What exactly do youmean "nothing happens"? No dash lights, headlight, etc, or got lights, but starter doesnt work, or???

Earl

Originally posted by akreider
    Ok I am pretty stumped, I am trying to get my 80 GS1100 running after it was in storage for years. I have gone over the entire electrical system, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, and replaced the battery. But when I turn the key nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am dying to ride
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

how exactly did you "clean the carbs"? Complete rebuild? Is the engine cut-off switch turned to RUN? Does the starter turn? Do any lights come on? Petcock position? Is the clutch pulled in, and switch working properly? We need more info...

Comment

I tore down the carbs and rebuilt them completly and when I turn the key no dash lights, none of the other lights, starter doesnt turn, absolutely no power. Yes I did have the engine run switch on.
        As far as the petcock exactly what part is that, I am more used to working on trucks.

Thanks

Comment

Well if you have no lights or anything, the petcock (fuel valve) is not the problem, but if you did a complete rebuild of the carbs, I will assume that the float bowls are empty, so AFTER you get the electrical sorted out and the engine turns over, make sure you switch the fuel valve to PRI or PRIME position just to get her started, then back to ON or whatever.

Anyway, have you checked your fuses? Try pulling each one and inspecting the contacts and the fuses themselves. When you went through the electrical system, what exactly did you do? Did you replace all the connections properly? Did you clean all of your grounding points?(this is VERY important) let us know..
          Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2006, 06:31 PM.

Comment

When I did the electric I replaced all of the old connections with good solder ones which i checked for integrity before i used that heat wire shrink wrap. Also I checked the coils, the run/kill and start switches, new light switch, and I cleaned all of the other connections with electric cleaner and that electric grease on them. But now that I think about it there was two wires coming from lefthand leaver that were plugged into each other but I dont know where they go. I didnt think that would affect the whole electric system. And like an idiot I forgot to make sure that all of the grounding wires were clean, I just checked to see if they were attached.

Comment

Also I want to double check that I prepped the battery correctly. When I was given it, it was new in the box with everything sealed up but didnt come with instructions. I used the liquid that came with it and filled the battery up to the proper fill line, then replaced the plugs using the silicone type sealant, and then put it on the charger on the slow charge 2 amps I think.

When I put in the plugs they kept on rising up a little due to the pressure is this normal?

Comment

Working...
              X