82gs850glz gas tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82gs850glz gas tank swap

Hello everyone. I have what may be a stupid question. I see in my shop manual for my bike that there are 3 different size gas tanks for my year bike. I want the biggest tank, the one with the indents where your knees would be when your riding. I have seen pics with them on 850's before. It looks like the tank on the 1100's. Soooooo I bought a tank from an 82 1100gk and it doesn't fit. It is close though. So now the question. What model and year bike do I have to get the tank from? I also bought the saddle bags and fairing from the gk and let me tell you i'm not gonna be a happy camper if they don't fit either. LOL

Don't know what will fit, but a GS850 GN or GS850GT tank definitely won't fit a GLT or GLZ. I tried.

Comment

Dennis, I'll be interested to know if you can get the bags to work. I know the GK has a different frame.

Comment

The 850's and the 1100's have the same frame size (with modifications for different models). To get a different model's tank to fit, you need to change the mounting locations on the frame, or make adapter pieces to go between the mounting bolts and the bike. There are a few exceptions where, for example, the 850g and the 1100g use the same tank, as do the 850gl and 1100gl.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was sure that was the case, but really needed someone with more knowledge to confirm it. We are almost neighbors. I'm in New Hampshire. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X