Gas Tank and Fuel line Hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank and Fuel line Hookup

OK I fixed the electrical problem it was a loose wire in the connector for the inigition switch. Now I don't knkow how to hookup the gas tank right (Brother gave it to me after he took it apart). In my manual all I can Find in the vaccum hose and I think fuel hose to the center hookup on the carbs. There are two hoses left to go onto the carbs. Also there is the long small hose from the tank which I assumed could be an overflow or some sort of pressure relief. Also what are the steps to starting the engine (carb fuel bowls are empty) and it has sat in storage for a few years. I have already rebuilt the carbs and changed the oil.
    I just read that the outer two Ts are for venting but where do the hoses connect.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2006, 09:57 PM.

OK nevermind I figured it out but I am sure to be back with another problem

Comment

The fuel hose is 5/16" I.D and connects between the nipple between the 2 and 3 carbs and the large (5/16") nipple on the petcock. The vacuum line is 1/4" I.D. and connects to the small nipple on the petcock. If your bike has cv carbs, the vacuum connects to the vacuum fitting on the top front of the 1 carb. The hose from the tank is a vent/overflow. There are two other nipples/fittings on the 2,3 carbs and they are vents. The hoses are left open to atomsphere. If the bowls are empty, turn the fuel selector to prime, wait 30 seconds and turn it back to run. Pull out choke and press starter button WITHOUT twisting throttle. On these bikes, you can have throttle or you can have choke, but not both at the same time. Once the bike starts, use the choke as throttle control for maybe 15 seconds to get fuel flowing evenly, then turn choke off and transition to throttle movement.

Earl

Originally posted by akreider
      OK I fixed the electrical problem it was a loose wire in the connector for the inigition switch. Now I don't knkow how to hookup the gas tank right (Brother gave it to me after he took it apart). In my manual all I can Find in the vaccum hose and I think fuel hose to the center hookup on the carbs. There are two hoses left to go onto the carbs. Also there is the long small hose from the tank which I assumed could be an overflow or some sort of pressure relief. Also what are the steps to starting the engine (carb fuel bowls are empty) and it has sat in storage for a few years. I have already rebuilt the carbs and changed the oil.
      I just read that the outer two Ts are for venting but where do the hoses connect.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok I got all of that done but the petcock is not working properly. I tried to open it to fill the bowls but when I went to start it the engine had no fuel. So I removed the hose from the petcock and then opened it to prime and not a single drop of fuel came out.

Comment

Take it apart and clean it. You should at least be able to get it to work on prime. It will likely need a rebuild kit though for real riding. Check the diaphragm for checking and cracking when you take it apart.

Comment

The prime setting is a mechanical on like a turning on a water faucet. It bypasses the diaphram function. The petcock has to be really corroded/blocked if prime will not flow fuel. Replacement or rebuild/cleaning time it seems.

Earl

Originally posted by akreider
            Ok I got all of that done but the petcock is not working properly. I tried to open it to fill the bowls but when I went to start it the engine had no fuel. So I removed the hose from the petcock and then opened it to prime and not a single drop of fuel came out.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X