Another infamous R/R question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another infamous R/R question

GS850 that I sold last summer.....had a used Honda R/R installed on it last year when the Electrex went toast on it. Owner (friend of mine) brought it over to me today, asked if I could help him, his battery appears to be not charging correctly.

Hooked up the voltmeter (with good battery in it!!8-[ ) to the bike's battery. It will hardly go up to 12.6V when revved up to the 5k mark. By coincidence, I decided to try with high beam on, and saw to my surprise the high beam did not work. Was told "Yeah, the light switch doesn't work right" ever since he dropped the bike in October. It could be that the bike was ridden for prolonged periods of time since then with the light OFF. However, with no headlight on, I saw that R/R did charge up into the 14.5V range, but as soon as light (low-beam) is switched on, it barely reaches the 12.5 to 13V mark.

When I put the other R/R in last summer, I bypassed the one wire rerouted through the headlight and hooked up all 3 phases directly from stator to R/R.

Is the problem:

1) possibly due to R/R being damaged because of too much juice hitting it when bike was being run without headlight on, even though this was supposedly not often.

Or 2) could it be a short somewhere, since I would've thought that the R/R, if faulty, would NOT be that close to optimal output just by switching off the stock headlight.

PS - After he dropped the bike, he did install another instrument cluster (from another year) on it. But I cannot think of anything off-hand in respect to the instrument cluster wiring that could cause a problem with the charging, unless something is shorted.
    Last edited by frosty5011; 03-24-2006, 12:52 AM.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

You've lost one phase in the stator. With the headlight on, there isnt sufficient output to maintain voltage to the battery.

Earl

[QUOTE=frosty5011]

Hooked up the voltmeter (with good battery in it!!8-[ ) to the bike's battery. It will hardly go up to 12.6V when revved up to the 5k mark. By coincidence, I decided to try with high beam on, and saw to my surprise the high beam did not work. Was told "Yeah, the light switch doesn't work right" ever since he dropped the bike in October. It could be that the bike was ridden for prolonged periods of time since then with the light OFF. However, with no headlight on, I saw that R/R did charge up into the 14.5V range, but as soon as light (low-beam) is switched on, it barely reaches the 12.5 to 13V mark.
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'll check the 3 phases next. Was in kind of a hurry yesterday and didn't get a chance to.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Frequently, a short in one leg of the R/R is the cause of the stator phase burning out. Check both.

Earl

Originally posted by frosty5011
        I'll check the 3 phases next. Was in kind of a hurry yesterday and didn't get a chance to.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X