No announcement yet.

Uh oh....transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch is easy to replace if needed. BUT what kind of oil are you using ???

Comment

Redman,

You are right to assume that when I try to give the bike a sudden burst of power, it is not the clutch lever slipping, but that about 50% of the time, the engine revs fairly high in RPM all of a sudden with only a little increase in acceleration.

I guess I'm going to hunt for some new clutch plates. Any chance it could just be the springs?

Why would the clutch plates be so worn after only 16K miles? I've only put 2K of those miles on the bike myself.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        BUT what kind of oil are you using ???
        ??????????????

Comment

Originally posted by emcdonel
          Redman,

You are right to assume that when I try to give the bike a sudden burst of power, it is not the clutch lever slipping, but that about 50% of the time, the engine revs fairly high in RPM all of a sudden with only a little increase in acceleration.

I guess I'm going to hunt for some new clutch plates. Any chance it could just be the springs?

Why would the clutch plates be so worn after only 16K miles? I've only put 2K of those miles on the bike myself.

-Erik
          Clutches can wear quick or last a loooong time - it depends on the driver mostly. Some people are harder on the clutch than others. I just replaced my clutch out yesterday, got an EBC clutch and springs. I ended up not using the springs as they don't seem to be the right ones for the bike even though the part numbers match up. (couldn't release the clutch at all with half ebc and half stock - way too stiff). I payed $86.00 locally for the friction disks, I could have gotten them cheaper online, but it was convenient to get them local. The feel of the clutch is so much better it is shocking.

Comment

I agree that this sounds like a clutch problem, but you ought to be aware of a potential related problem. You have an 82 G model which means the splines inside your rear wheel hub are of the softer compound and will give out on you at some point. On the 1100s anyway that typically seems to be at the 30-35000 mile mark, give or take.

If your clutch is shot because the PrevOwner was into drag race starts, there is a good chance your splines could be near the end of their service life as well. When they give out the engine will rev up but the wheel won't roll and you will hear a tell-tale rattle coming from the hub.

The only way to check them is to remove the rear wheel. If you don't do it now, certainly do it when you next get tires. Do a search on the word "Splines" on this website for details.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I had to do my clutch at 17k miles. You can check the wear using a micrometer and the tolerances in the manual.

If you get new pressure plate springs, don't use aftermarket, have the supplier get you genuine Suzuki. All the others are too stiff- unless you have Popeye arms...
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

About clutch plates "wearing out" at such low miles:
                Well, yes, like others said, some riders wear harder on clutch depending on how they use/abuse the clutch. And in addition to "wearing" out the clutch so that the material is worn away, there is also a possibility the the materail is not worn away so much, but has become hard and brittle over time and abuseage such that it slips and doesnt grab like it should. I think this happens more if the rider slips the clutch alot and/or engine runs hot.
                Last edited by Redman; 04-01-2006, 02:36 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                X