Oh, Wheel hub doesnt look so good now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, Wheel hub doesnt look so good now.

Guess I was a lot closer to Timbuctu that I thought.

Took off the GKs rear wheel again to better inspect the rear hub, per advice given here on GSR - Thanks. This time I removed the hub from the wheel to get a better look. Yikes.... looks like each of those splines has only about 20 percent remaining.

Hey, Steve, this is probably what yours looked like before push starting your bike 5 times that day. Looks like mine was maintained about as well before I got it as yours was before you got yours.

Well, once I take care of this, then I will say that I would still rather lube this once every tire change, than fuss with a chain all the time.

Havent seen any such hubs on ebay in all my looking for 1100G parts since November (or 850G for 3 years) well, other than an occasional entire rear wheel. These could be one of the highest demand parts in the salvage yard. I have seen the hub on BikeBandit for $120, maybe that my best option any time soon. (Maybe 50 degrees in a couple weeks).
    Last edited by Redman; 03-25-2006, 09:58 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Better get new splines soon! Ronayers.com is cheaper than Bike bandit for splines.

Comment

Thanks, Mark, I think you were one of the guys that suggest that I take another look at the hub. Will checkout Ron Ayers, that is N Carolina isnt it? Lot closer to Mich than is BBandit in Kalyforna.

I should also say (to anybody thinking that shaft drives are unreliable) that this near failed hub is on a GK that I got in November, so I dont know much about its history nor maintenance. What minimal amount of grease there was in the hub/spline was hard and dried out, so probably wasnt lubed with the last tire change. And it has HarleyDavidson tires on it, so maybe the H-D dealer doesnt know about lubing the shaft drive wheel hub/spline with every tire change. Or the PO didnt know.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAN
        Thanks, Mark, I think you were one of the guys that suggest that I take another look at the hub. Will checkout Ron Ayers, that is N Carolina isnt it? Lot closer to Mich than is BBandit in Kalyforna.

I should also say (to anybody thinking that shaft drives are unreliable) that this near failed hub is on a GK that I got in November, so I dont know much about its history nor maintenance. What minimal amount of grease there was in the hub/spline was hard and dried out, so probably wasnt lubed with the last tire change. And it has HarleyDavidson tires on it, so maybe the H-D dealer doesnt know about lubing the shaft drive wheel hub/spline with every tire change. Or the PO didnt know.
        Unfortunately, HD only knows how to lube belts! :razz: And it's Koddyfoneea, not Kalyforna.

Brad tt

Comment

They are reliable, I have 65000+ on mine, with the original hub, in good condition. the trick is to keep them lubed.

Comment

Get a hub prior to february of 82, apparently they changed the material and they are softer after that.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

81 Gs1000g

I think mine came from an 81 GS1000G. Yours should have nice bright zinc plating. The older one will have a darker appearance. AND . . . . . yes, you were very close my friend. You may have to buy a whole rear wheel but that will be cheaper (and a better part) than a brand new one. I spent $50 for mine. Its been lubed 3 or 4 times since last spring. Wonder what scrap aluminum wheels go for?

Comment

64680-45112 is the part that you are getting?

Comment

Hey Steve, Hello bud, I quess at this point I am more impatient than frugal. I saw a rear wheel on ebay, but figure 30-40 bucks plus 20 shipping . . . . RonAyers had replacemnt hub for $99. And there was a few other minor parts I needed also. And I havent found any bike salvage yards around here.

Duane, yah, have heard about the pre 82 hubs being made of harder material, and that if not lubed then both the hub and rear drive unit both wear out. Have know it was sometime about 82 that change was made, you say specifically Feb 82. (mine is 4/82)

Mark, Thanks for reminder to look at Ron Ayers, was 99 there ($8 shipping). BBandit was $119 and more for shipping being further away on west coast. Power Sport web site thru dealer 30 miles away was $129. Oh, one thing about RonAyers, didnt have the microfische part look up for the 1100G (nor my 850G. But that was okay because I have the microfische.

Jay, yep, that 64680-45112 is the part number I looked up. But when I entered it in on RonAyers, it came back with 45113. Maybe the difference mentioned above.

83GK, Yep, I understand that they work-fine-last-long-time IF they are lubed at least every tire change or any other occassion of having the rear wheel off. Have 68K on my 850G (32K mine) with no problem, and not the lash that I noticed this GK had probably related to this worn hub.
                  Last edited by Redman; 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Get the entire rear wheel off a 79 thru 81 GS850 or 1000G with the driven hub in it. I've seen them recently on eBay for reasonable price, including the rear disc. The older wheels had the black driven hub.

The older wheels will fit your GK. You'd have to shim out the brake disc by putting six washers between the wheel and the brake disc. Also, the spacers are different, but one can mix and match these with washers, etc. The GK rear wheel is a 16, but you can install a 17 on it with no problem.

Having an extra wheel is nice, because that way you can have a new tire installed on the spare wheel, then at changing time you can take one wheel off and put another one on, with no down time.

Comment

mrcycles

Go to www.mrcycles.com/fiche_select.asp
                      select your bike make, model, year.
                      All service microfiches will come up. Select rear wheel. Looks to be about 95.00 for an 1980 GS1000G (that is what I have).

I like this site for parts, good layout and easy to find the parts you need at a reasonable price.

Good Luck, Ray

Comment

I can get you one here, go down to the same place I took Steve to.

Comment

I have a good used one $20 + shipping

Comment

Suzuki superceded the part so you are looking at the right part #.

I was wondering about your previous quote of $120 for on cause I'm seem them for less. Take for example SqDancerLynn1 selling one for $20.

Originally posted by REDMAN
                            Hey Steve, Hello bud, I quess at this point I am more impatient than frugal. I saw a rear wheel on ebay, but figure 30-40 bucks plus 20 shipping . . . . RonAyers had replacemnt hub for $99. And there was a few other minor parts I needed also. And I havent found any bike salvage yards around here.

Duane, yah, have heard about the pre 82 hubs being made of harder material, and that if not lubed then both the hub and rear drive unit both wear out. Have know it was sometime about 82 that change was made, you say specifically Feb 82. (mine is 4/82)

Mark, Thanks for reminder to look at Ron Ayers, was 99 there ($8 shipping). BBandit was $119 and more for shipping being further away on west coast. Power Sport web site thru dealer 30 miles away was $129. Oh, one thing about RonAyers, didnt have the microfische part look up for the 1100G (nor my 850G. But that was okay because I have the microfische.

Jay, yep, that 64680-45112 is the part number I looked up. But when I entered it in on RonAyers, it came back with 45113. Maybe the difference mentioned above.

83GK, Yep, I understand that they work-fine-last-long-time IF they are lubed at least every tire change or any other occassion of having the rear wheel off. Have 68K on my 850G (32K mine) with no problem, and not the lash that I noticed this GK had probably related to this worn hub.

Comment

Thanks for your offer SqDancer, but quess I was too impatient and had all ready ordered one Saturday. I am really impressed with your offer to sell such a hot demand item as this, and for such a good price too.

Grandpa, I was just too impatient to try and find one on ebay, havent seen many in the recent months. And is suppose to be in 50s here in a couple weeks.

rmj, that is the 3rd time in recent weeks I have heard of the MRCycle, so I checked into that. First thing I noticed is they are in N. Carolina. Price for the hub (joint assembly, driven spline, whatecer you wanna call it)was 95 instead of the 99 at Ron Ayers. Other thihng was they had the mocrofissch look up for the 1100GK, which RAyers didnt. And MRCycle had the microfische for my Shadow 500, which BBandit nor RonAyers did.

And, Hey, there is Leon being helpfull again, on purpose this time. Thanks, Bud. But got one comming from elsewhere.

Last edited by Redman; 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X