Shaft drive spline/hub lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft drive spline/hub lube

Have talked about this before. Several recommended "moly lube" or "moly grease" for greasing the rear hub splines.

I have been using regular axle grease on the 850G that I have had for 12 years now, and the 650G that I had for 20 years - no problem.

Was at the auto parts store. I found this "Moly-Grease". Black stuff in a tube, does not seem as thick as the axle grease I have been using. Tube says:
    - Extreme Pressure
    - Multi Purpose.
    - Timken OK Load 40 pounds.
    - compounded protection with molleylubedem and graphite.
    - withstand heavy load and shock load.
    - roller bearings, bushings, slides, ball joints, u-joints, wheel bearings.

Any comments?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Seems OK judging by the description.

Ask to put a small amount on your finger. Moly grease isn't overly thick, but it will try to follow you around the room like a faithful dog.

Comment

Any grease that handles pressure and resists water will be fine.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Okay, thanks.
        Just that this stuff just isnt as tacky nor as thick as axle grease.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Feel free to slather it all over the splines. On the next rear tire change be sure to add some more.

Did you pull the driven gear in your wheel to see how it looks?

Comment

Lots of folks on the FJR sites swear by Honda Moly 60 Paste. It contains 60% molybdenum disulfide which is the important ingredient. If Yamaha guys are recommending Honda stuff it must be good!

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I use one similar to that. As you said, it is not as thick as some other greases, but it works well.

STAY AWAY from white greases....they tend to dry out. I don't know why, but they do.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                Lots of folks on the FJR sites swear by Honda Moly 60 Paste. It contains 60% molybdenum disulfide which is the important ingredient. If Yamaha guys are recommending Honda stuff it must be good!

Joe
                I don't think Honda sells a chemical with their name on it that is not as good (or better) than anything you can find.

Comment

Here's a comprehensive article on spline lubrication. Upshot is that the moly paste is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

Joe

I also use the Honda moly paste. It was only about $10 for a lifetime supply tube, and Ye Olde Honda Shoppe had plenty in stock. It's good stuff and it's cheap, so why not?
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

...just slathered Honda Moly on my splines at the Chicagoland tire changing bonanza (yesterday)!! Thanks for sharing your stock, Joe!!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by JayH
                        Feel free to slather it all over the splines. On the next rear tire change be sure to add some more.

Did you pull the driven gear in your wheel to see how it looks?
                        I've never removed/installed a rear wheel and am thinking of doing it on my 82 GS850GZ. I've been reading a lot of posts about replacing the rear tire and see mention of "splines".

Can anyone enlighten me on just what they are, what they look like, etc. (anyone got a picture?? )

Would sure appreciate it.

TIA.

Charles...

Comment

Oh, yah, Charles, I got microfishe screen captures of the rear hub/splines and now (since original posting) have pics of a failed hub. Will email to you.

Yes, you will want to get familair with the hub/splines else you WILL get to know them when they fail if you havent lubed them. Lube them with every tire change and they work-fine-last-long-time.

(ah, lets not start another debate about chain vs shaft)

And by the way, I have found the Honda Moly Paste at one of the three Honda dealers I went to. Other two seem puzzled but found it in their catalog. One called in a mechanic who said they use regular axle grease.
                          Last edited by Redman; 07-20-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X